Re: [delmarvastargazers] Clear Sky Clock (fwd)

  • Steven Long
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
      Jim Rosenstock wrote:

      > FYI:
      >
      > The Clear Sky Clock may soon be dumped by Environment Canada due to
      > budgetary cuts. However, its creators and friends are attempting to
      > gather
      > support from its users to try to save it. Please take the time to
      > write E-Mails of support and appreciation. They can be sent to:
      > Pierre.Dubreuil@...
      > and David.Grimes@.... Pierre is the Director of CMC and is very
      > much in favor of keeping the site open. He will carry the letters of
      > support forward
      > to the Minister's office and other councils. Dave Grimes is also part
      > of the approval process.
      >
      > Peter Smitka

      I sent the following letter to the two people mentioned in this email:

      =====================================
      Sirs:

      It has come to my attention that the Canadian Clear Sky Clock
      might soon be eliminated by Environment Canada.

      I am writing to you to ask that if it is at all possible to
      continue this service, that you do so. On the DelMarVa peninsula
      in America, East of Washington, D.C., my fellow amateur
      astronomers and I rely heavily on your clear sky predictions to
      determine whether on a given night it will be worthwhile to
      travel to our moderately dark sky site for a night of observing.
      There are no "light-free" areas nearby (as we are surrounded by
      metropolises,) and only a few "low-light" areas. Some of the
      members of my astronomy club travel as much as two hours to reach
      the relatively dark site that we use, in order to maximize their
      observing success.

      Given that time and travel distance, it is extremely difficult to
      tell what sky conditions will be like at one's destination by
      evaluating the skies at one's origin; and a four-hour round-trip
      is a long way to go only to be disappointed. So most of us rely
      on the Clear Sky Clock to give us the best forecast of whether
      this kind of commitment to astronomy will be rewarded.

      If your Clear Sky Clock is abandoned, there is *no* comparable
      replacement available that will help us. Please try to find a
      way to maintain this Web site, for all the amateur astronomers on
      DelMarVa, and in the United States and Canada.

      Thank you for your consideration, and your time to read my letter.

      Sincerely,

      Steven E. Long
      Delaware, USA

      =====================================
    • Richaudgar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
        <PRE>An amateurish question from a really rank amateur (me): what is the best
        viewing date for the Leonids?
      • Steven Long
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
          Richaudgar@... wrote:

          > <PRE>An amateurish question from a really rank amateur (me): what is the best
          > viewing date for the Leonids?

          Rich, check out:

          http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/09oct_leonidsforecast.htm?list629549

          Steve