Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: last night

  • Michael Lecuyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
      Last night and this morning were quite nice - near Tuckahoe quality in
      Viola, DE as well. Early in the evening I poked around the Pegasus
      galaxies near it's square of stars but spent most of my time around the
      Rosette and around the large NGC 2264 to its north. A good seven hours
      under the stars with the 12" Discovery telescope.

      The SQM read around 20.05 which is pretty good for a back yard in town.
      I get about 20.90 at Tuckahoe. For some reason Jean-Paul Richard's SQM
      reads a magnitude greater there.

      Hubble's Variable Nebula (HVN) hasn't varied enough for me to see any
      changes over two months. On the other side of NGC 2245 is another small
      bright nebula that closely resembles HVN. So close that I had to go back
      and check to see that I hadn't 'rediscovered' HVN accidentally. NGC
      2245's a little smaller and also looks like a comet with a broad tail.
      Both nebula's have stars at the head.

      I did wander off from the area for a while when Gina showed up to
      explore Orion. We also visited the Crab Nebula and the Triangulum Galaxy
      (M 33) which says hello to all the Stargazers.

      Don R Surles wrote:
      > 2008 finally produced a great night for star gazing. Last night Cal
      > Estrada, Herman Kline and I met at the Blackbird Forest site for some
      > much needed stargazing therapy.
      >
      > The sky was clear, the temps very nice for late December...we did have
      > some frost by the time we departed...but there was no wind, no bugs, no
      > dew. What more could one ask for?
    • Tim Milligan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
        There must of been something in the air that nignt, I also went out
        on my back deck with my 8" Dob to look at the Orion neb., and the
        clusters M35,M36,M37, and M38.

        Tim

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lecuyer <mjl@...>