No Frills Update

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2008

      Due to inclement weather Delmarva Star Gazers cancelled the remainder of the No Frills Star Party as of noon Friday, Sept 26.

      We are currently attempting to schedule a makeup session the weekend of Oct 24-26 with a rain date of Oct 31-Nov 2.  As soon as those plans can be confirmed we will post an update on this list.

      We anticipate the makeup session will be free for those who pre-registered for No Frills.

      Clear Skies...and stay dry.

      The debate is tonight - enjoy it in the comfort of your home in lieu of the company of your fellow Gazers.

      transfers of data to third parties.

    • kentblackwell
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2008
        I got a call this morning from my friend Sheila. She was the reason I
        cancelled plan for Tuckahoe. She was coming from WVa to visit me, and
        we had great plans for the Neptune Festival in Virginia Beach. She
        made the mistake of watching the Weather Channel on cable in her home
        town and told me tornados were wrecking havoc in Virginia Beach, so
        she cancelled her trip here. Not true!

        By the way, at midight, the sky is perfectly clear here! That
        probably won't last all weekend by our weather is surely improving.
        Looks like No-Frill and Kent's plans all fell through this weekend.

        I can't possibly come for the makeup date of No-Frills on October
        24th date, as that's the date for my East Coast Star Party in
        Coinjcock NC that's been planned for months. There is no way I can
        cancel, as I have many people coming from out of state.

        Kent Blackwell
        kent at exis.net
        Virgnia Beach, VA

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-
        1@...> wrote:

        > Due to inclement weather Delmarva Star Gazers cancelled the
        remainder of
        > the No Frills Star Party as of noon Friday, Sept 26.
        >
        > We are currently attempting to schedule a makeup session the
        weekend of
        > Oct 24-26 with a rain date of Oct 31-Nov 2. As soon as those plans
        can be
        > confirmed we will post an update on this list.
        >
        > We anticipate the makeup session will be free for those who pre-
        registered
        > for No Frills.
        >
        > Clear Skies...and stay dry.
        >
        > The debate is tonight - enjoy it in the comfort of your home in
        lieu of
        > the company of your fellow Gazers.
        >
        > Don...
        >

        > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains
        > information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted
        under
        > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
        hereby
        > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
        mail,
        > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
        sender by
        > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
        explicitly
        > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail
        does
        > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an
        acceptance
        > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to
        the
        > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes
        or for
        > transfers of data to third parties.
        >
        > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese
        Korean

        > http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html

      • Cliff Hedgepeth
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 27, 2008
          Thats Kent's East Coast Star Party weekend so I wont be able to come.

          Cliff Hedgepeth

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2008
            Kent, don't you just love weathermen who embellish their interpretation of what the future weather will be?

            We were supposed to have heavy rains and high winds in excess of 40 mph - for Thursday thru Sunday.  Who, in his right feeble mind,  would want to risk that type of weather for a star party?

            Our actual weather has been more like a few sprinkles and gentle showers with no or very little wind on Thursday night only.

            I am discouraged by the results of No-Frills this year.  De-flated to say the least.

            To all star gazers...please cogitate how we can improve our participation, offer more activities, and more enticement to attract participants to our future star parties.
            Please email me directly with your suggestions.

            And, a word of advice to those who do come to star parties:

            Sponsors of star parties put a lot of manhours and effort into producing an event for your pleasure.
            It is your support, ie, presence, that makes the parties successful.
            Conversely, a lack of support, your presence, will result in fewer star parties.
            I urge all amateur astronomers to support the local star party so that all of us can enjoy the camaraderie of fellow star gazers.

            Have a nice day.

            Don...

            "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
            Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

            09/27/2008 02:26 AM

            Please respond to
            delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

            delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject
            [delmarvastargazers] Re: No Frills Update

            kent at exis.net
            Virgnia Beach, VA

            1@...> wrote:

            > Due to inclement weather Delmarva Star Gazers cancelled the
            remainder of
            > the No Frills Star Party as of noon Friday, Sept 26.
            >
            > We are currently attempting to schedule a makeup session the
            weekend of
            > Oct 24-26 with a rain date of Oct 31-Nov 2. As soon as those plans
            can be
            > confirmed we will post an update on this list.
            >
            > We anticipate the makeup session will be free for those who pre-
            registered
            > for No Frills.
            >
            > Clear Skies...and stay dry.
            >
            > The debate is tonight - enjoy it in the comfort of your home in
            lieu of
            > the company of your fellow Gazers.
            >
            > Don...
            >

            > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains
            > information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted
            under
            > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
            hereby
            > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
            mail,
            > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
            sender by
            > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
            explicitly
            > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this
            e-mail
            does
            > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an
            acceptance
            > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to
            the
            > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes
            or for
            > transfers of data to third parties.
            >
            > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese
            Korean

            transfers of data to third parties.

          • Bob Bunge
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2008
              The models never had a good handle on that storm... forecasters
              defaulted to almost worst case out of self-preservation. Over here in
              Bowie, we got 2-3 inches... looks like T-hoe got between 1/2 - 1 inch.
              The winds never did develop.

              Bob

              Don R Surles wrote:

> [...]
              > <http://www.dupont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html>
              > >

              > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains
              > information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
              > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
              > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail,
              > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by
              > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly
              > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does
              > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance
              > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the
              > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for
              > transfers of data to third parties.
              >
              > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

            • Carol Beigel
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2008
                It looked to me like there would be NO stars visible anytime between
                Wednesday and Sunday! Did you guys at No Frills really get to do some
                observing? I saw the clouds moving in on Wednesday afternoon, and
                every weather forcast predicted clouds for days! This is the second
                time I am aware that a nice star party sponsored by Delmarva like this
                got skunked! I would blame it on the weather, not lack of
                interest!!! I had the star party on the books for months, but need to
                take time off from work to attend. Can't say taking unpaid time off
                from work is a good idea when there is practically NO chance of seeing
                any stars. I feel badly for all who put in so much time, and of
                course, the expense of the food and "facilities". I miss seeing all
                of you, so between repairs to the Bay Bridge and the weather, it just
                is not going to happen until the Clear Sky Clock gets MUCH better!
                Sorry.

                I did spend Saturday at my own virtual star party - downloading astro
                software for the new iMac, printing out star charts, and ordered some
                astro junk online. Not the same = no hotdogs. I do plan to attend
                the party in the Spring - if there is one!

                Carol Beigel

              • Jean-Paul Richard
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 28, 2008
                  Tuckahoe is really an excellent site for astronomy. It is quite dark
                  and close to the Baltimore Washington area. I found the winter
                  a superb time to make use of Tuckahoe. Every months, there are basically
                  10 days, 7 of them before new moon and 2 after new moon, where
                  observations can be carried out without moonlight for a few hours.
                  That makes for good possibilities for one or more successful night
                  every month.
                  In addition, during winter, dark occurs early in the evening and one
                  can be back home at times compatible with next day work if not
                  during weekend.
                  Given all of that, perhaps we could use Tuckahoe often in winter.
                  Last minute calls for Friday or Saturday viewing would be ok.
                  No elaborate preparation is needed for such getting together.
                  Last winter, I went to Tuckahoe quite often but was most of
                  the time alone there !
                  Perhaps such outings could be encouraged more.
                  Jean-Paul (Richard)
                • Paul Riley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                    Isn't Mother Nature just nice !

                    Hasn't rained in months, yet when No Frills shows up, it is cloudy and rainy for 5 days/4 nights, then as we go back to work, the skies clear.

                    This mornin' as I went outside to go to work on a Monday, I saw more stars and nebulae than I usually can see from my backyard......

                    Maybe we should invite Mother Nature next time?!

                    Pj

                  • Ralph Dominica
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                      I know that I would like to try to get in some clear night observing
                      in the fall and winter as weather and observing conditions permit and
                      would welcome the opportunity of using the ball field on occasion (
                      unless we are relegated to the equestrian field) over the next
                      several months.

                      Ralph D

                      -- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard
                      <jrtf@...> wrote:

                      > Tuckahoe is really an excellent site for astronomy. It is quite dark
                      > and close to the Baltimore Washington area. I found the winter
                      > a superb time to make use of Tuckahoe. Every months, there are
                      basically
                      > 10 days, 7 of them before new moon and 2 after new moon, where
                      > observations can be carried out without moonlight for a few hours.
                      > That makes for good possibilities for one or more successful night
                      > every month.
                      > In addition, during winter, dark occurs early in the evening and one
                      > can be back home at times compatible with next day work if not
                      > during weekend.
                      > Given all of that, perhaps we could use Tuckahoe often in winter.
                      > Last minute calls for Friday or Saturday viewing would be ok.
                      > No elaborate preparation is needed for such getting together.
                      > Last winter, I went to Tuckahoe quite often but was most of
                      > the time alone there !
                      > Perhaps such outings could be encouraged more.
                      > Jean-Paul (Richard)

                    • Jean-Paul Richard
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 29, 2008
                        This Thursday (tomorrow) and Friday looks good with
                        early moon sets (6:48, 7:31), low winds, above or at
                        40F until 10pm. Anyone planning to go to the Ball Field ?
                        Jean-Paul.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 29, 2008

                          i am tied up both thurs & fri nights but if saturday is clear i plan to be there.

                          don...

                          Jean-Paul Richard <jrtf@...>
                          Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                          10/29/2008 01:28 PM

                          Please respond to
                          delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                          delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                          cc
                          Subject
                          Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Tuckahoe outings