polar alignment and mirror adjustment

  • segalearl
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
      I have an old Criterion 6" reflector and wondered if there is anyone
      in the Oxford/Easton/St Michaels area that might show me the basics of
      polar alignment and mirror adjustment (I am told the prior owner sought
      to make some adjustments of doubtful necessity)?

      Thank you very much for your help.
    • Jim Tomney
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hi,

        > I have an old Criterion 6" reflector and wondered if there is
        anyone
        > in the Oxford/Easton/St Michaels area that might show me the
        basics of
        > polar alignment and mirror adjustment (I am told the prior owner
        sought
        > to make some adjustments of doubtful necessity)?

        I also have a 6" RV-6 scope from my youth. They tend to have good
        optics (although if you have the original Ramsden eyepieces it may
        be worth an upgrade). Mirror adjustment (collimation) is sometimes
        needed, especially if the scope is jostled around. It is one of
        those things that is not terribly hard (at least to get an
        acceptable alignment) but is easiest when shown in person. I'd
        suggest that you consider coming by the No Frills star party where
        I'm sure you'd get some helpful instruction (I'm north of Baltimore
        but hope to make it for at least one evening). In the meantime there
        are good articles on the web such as this one in S&T:
        (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto/diy/3306876.html)

        As for polar alignment - my experience with the RV-6 is that the
        motor in the clock drive is the unit's Achilles' heel, often failing
        within a couple of years. If it is functional then sighting along
        the motor housing to Polaris is probably sufficient to allow some
        tracking and reduce the need to constantly nudge your target back
        into the field of view.

        Hope that helps - perhaps see you at No Frills?

        Jim