Wallop’s Taurus II rocket

  • Jerry Truitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008

      Many of you enjoyed an unprecedented tour of NASA's Wallops Island last summer courtesy of the Virginia Space Flight Academy . Part of the tour included the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) where we had the opportunity to walk the launch sites and see the command center.

      Virginia Governor Tim Kaine announced the Spaceport received a $45 million launching project to demonstrate the new Taurus II medium class rocket. Designed by Orbital the mission is scheduled to launch from Wallops in late 2010 to demonstrate the ability to deliver cargo to the International Space Station. If the mission goes well and NASA selects Orbital for the delivery of cargo, future missions will originate from Wallops beginning in 2011.

      Virginia Commercial Space Flight Authority Director Billie Reed has been working towards the goal of landing such a contract for Wallops for the last 15 years. "This is the thing we've been really hoping for" states Billie.

      The $45 million is to assemble, test and launch Orbital's Taurus II rocket all being done at MARS. Orbital was selected in February to demonstrate a new space transportation system for delivering cargo to the International Space Station after the space shuttle program ends. NASA is investing $170 million and Orbital will spend $150 million over three years in the Commercial Orbital Transportation Services project.

      A new spacecraft called Cygnus which has interchangeable modules for different cargo types will be in development in the first phase. This is a low Earth orbit spacecraft launched by the Taurus II rocket and will have a cargo capacity of up to 2,300 kilograms (5,000 lbs) and a return capacity of 1,200 kilograms (2,600 lbs)

      Wallops beat out a vigorous campaign by Florida to use NASA's Kennedy Space Center . Virginia recently enacted zero income tax for companies in the space cargo business plus passed a bond package for $16 million in improvements at the space port which helped seal the deal.

      Improvements will be made at the spaceport's existing launch pad to support larger heavier rockets. They will also build a fueling and storage system for liquid rocket fuel. Plus a rocket assembly building will be added. Construction will start late this year now that Wallops has a commitment from Orbital.

      This of course will present a great opportunity for us to see the Taurus II launches from everywhere on the Eastern Shore as these large rockets go up to re-supply the ISS and just a short drive to get a real close up view. -Jerry

    • Douglas Hemmick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
        Hi Jerry:

        Now that all these grand things are happening, I don't suppose another tour
        like last summer's is also coming up?

        Doug

        --
        "Sometimes the way a message unfolds its meaning is the most important meaning it offers."
        - Brooks Landon

        "Why should a sequence of words be anything but a pleasure?"
        - saying attributed to Gertrude Stein

        "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, as it was the substance of things which have come to pass; and it is the evidence of the things not seen."
        Hebrews 11:1 (Bible as translated from the Aramaic by G. Lamsa)
      • Jerry Truitt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
          The VSFA did not contact me this year. I know they were slated to have
          the old buildings torn down and new ones built. I'm sure they also
          considered the rocketing price of gas for me to travel from Elkton to
          Wallops every week.

          I will try next year to contact them and see if I can work a tour out of
          them. I'm not sure we could get the free access we had last time
          however. We got to go places the public hadn't seen since 9/11 and some
          places they never had access to. I do know some excellent locations to
          watch a launch from down there. Maybe the club could get a group to go
          down for one next year. -Jerry

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Hemmick"