Stargazer Picnic on Saturday July 12th

  • Tim Milligan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27 9:29 AM
      Gang,

      Can we get an idea of who will be coming and what dish you may be
      bringing? Remember bringing a dish IS NOT required. Bringing yourself
      and family or friends IS highly desired.

      Thanks and see you there!

      Tim
    • Dave Wells
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27 9:44 AM
        Tim,

        I'll bring macaroni salad and cole slaw.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27 2:15 PM
          I will bring corn on the cob, a watermelon and cantaloupe.

          Karen will bring a dessert.

          Don...

          On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Dave Wells wrote:

          Tim,

          I'll bring macaroni salad and cole slaw.

          Dave

        • Paul Riley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27 3:31 PM

            Broccoli salad? Anyone?  I could ask Doreen to make some....

            Pj

          • f.a.sheldon@att.net

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28 5:48 AM
                Hi, all we need for the club supplies are: hamburgers, rolls for
                hotdogs and hamburgers, Ice. Maybe some ketchup and mustard. I have
                the hotdogs and bag of charcoal.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30 10:06 AM

                  I ran across this story whilst surfing the Net...and cross checked just to make sure it has some validity.

                  In light of our congress' recent debate about whether putting women's underpanties on the heads of our gitmo guests constituted torture i pass this along for your contemplation...and there is an astronomical connection

                  Don...

                  Filippo (Giordano) Bruno was born in Nola, Italy in 1548. His father was Giovanni Bruno, a soldier, and his mother was Fraulissa Savolino. In 1561, he enrolled in school at the Monastery of Saint Domenico, best known for its famous member, Thomas Aquinas. Around this time, he took the name Giordano Bruno and within a few years had become a priest of the Dominican Order.

                  Giordano Bruno was a brilliant, if eccentric, philosopher, but the life of a Dominican priest in the Catholic Church apparently didn’t suit him. He left the order in 1576 and started wandering Europe as a travelling philosopher, lecturing in various universities. His chief claim to fame was the Dominican memory techniques he taught, bringing him to the attention of royalty, including King Henry III of France and Elizabeth I of England. His memory enhancement techniques, described in his book "The Art of Memory" are still used today.

                  Though outspoken, and perhaps, not truly appreciated while in the Dominican Order, his troubles truly began around 1584 with the publication of his book "Dell Infinito, universo e mondi" ("Of Infinity, the Universe, and the World"). Being a philosopher and not an astronomer, Giordano Bruno would not have even warranted our attention if not for this book and the consequences of it.

                  Hearing the ideas of Copernicus about the nature of the universe sent Giordano Bruno into a veritable frenzy of philosophical thought. If the Earth was not the center of the universe, and all those stars clearly seen in the night sky were also suns, then there must exist an infinite number of earths in the universe, inhabited with other beings like ourselves.

                  This idea about the universe did not sit well with the Catholic Church. They lured Giordano Bruno to Rome with the promise of a job, where he was immediately turned over to the Inquisition and charged with heresy.

                  Giordano Bruno spent the next eight years in chains in the Castel Sant’Angelo, where he was routinely tortured and interrogated until his trial. Despite this, he remained unrepentant, stating to his Catholic Church judge, Jesuit Cardinal Robert Bellarmine, "I neither ought to recant, nor will I." Even a death sentence handed down by the Catholic Church did not change his attitude as he defiantly told his accusers, "In pronouncing my sentence, your fear is greater than mine in hearing it."

                  Immediately after the death sentence was handed down, Giordano Bruno’s jaw was clamped shut with an iron gag, his tongue was pierced with an iron spike and another iron spike was driven into his palate. On February 19, 1600, he was driven through the streets of Rome, stripped of his clothes and burned at the stake.

                  transfers of data to third parties.

                • Jim Rosenstock
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Well now Don,

                    There are likely some amongst us who would pay good money to have
                    womens' underpanties stretched over their heads....and probably others
                    amongst us who have voluntarily had their tongues spiked.

                    Context is important. ;^)

                    BTW, in the intervening centuries, the Catholic Church's attitude
                    toward both cosmology and torture has become significantly more
                    progressive...

                    ...wish that were the case here.

                    Cheers,

                    Jim