PGC 29472

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2008
      Tonight I observed PGC 29472, An excellent paperthin edge on galaxy.
      I'm surprised it's not in the NGC list. Galaxy bright enough to be
      seen in a 6" scope in a dark sky. Next time your our under fairly
      dark skies with a moderate sized scope, I recommend you check this
      out!

      Observing Log Entries for PGC 29472
      Date: 2008 May 29 09:57p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: 14.5" F/6 Truss
      Object Type: Galaxy
      Apparent Position: RA. 10h08m44.6s Dec. +53°02'42" (UMa)
      Magnitude: 13.2
      Object Altitude: 54°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 3/5
      the ladder and oh my! I forgot to replace my eyepiece! I then put in
      my 11mm Nagler for 220x. The field was very easy to find as it's 4
      very bright stars. They reselmble a "diamond". After finding the
      field, I spotted the galaxy going off the left of one of the bright
      stars of the diamond. It was faint but noticable with averted vision.
      Very thin! I then lowered the magnification to 92x and the galaxy was
      actually more noticable. Brighter and visible with direct vision.
      Very very thin, surface seemed even throughout the galaxy. Really
      neat object.