Sunday Night Observing...

  • Steven Long
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
      Doug wrote:

      > Joe Wojtecki and I are going to Tuckahoe tonight providing clear weather.

      I'm going to be there, too, if it isn't cloudy. Anyone else want
      to risk being tired at work on Monday morning??? :-)

      Steve
    • Norton Douglas (DTI)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2005
        Sunday Night Observing...

        After observing Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Jupiter and the moon early in the evening I went back out after dark. I observed the globular cluster M3, the double stars Albireo, Alpha Herc, Mizar, Epsilon Lyr, 61 Cyg, SHJ282 in Lyra and Beta Scorpii. I also observed the planetary M57. M3 was hampered by the proximity and brightness of the moon. But its outer stars were starting to resolve. Albireo is always nice no matter what. Alpha Herc was the best I've seen it in a long time. It's my favorite double in the entire sky. The orange hue of the bright primary offset by the decidedly blue faint companion, plus the fact that they are a tight pair makes this the best of all combinations. I love it. Mizar is always pretty and is a standard object among showcase objects. Anyone can see it with little trouble. Epsilon Lyr was better tonight than it was last night. With my 18mm SWA eyepiece, which gives me 55x magnification, I could see the two stars themselves were doubles. Higher powers made the split easier to see and what a sight. A beautiful object. SHJ282 is a double in the same eyepiece field as M57. Just point the scope a little further toward the center of Lyra and Bam! There it is. A twin of Albireo nearby. Beta Scor was right by the moon but it was an easy target and a familiar old friend. It's been a while since I looked at this one. Beautiful. So all in all it was a pretty fruitful night. Oh, Jupiter's four moons were all lined up to one side of the planet and Venus looked pretty much "full" with no hint of a phase that I could tell. Let's hope it stays clear all the way through the Mercury/Venus conjunction.

        Clear Skies!

        Doug
        Douglas A. Norton
        Department of Technology & Information