Digital camera

  • Carol Beigel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
      I don't own a digital SLR camera and can buy a new Canon 30D for $699, body
      only. Is this a good camera to try to take pictures like Kent does? Any
      thoughts about a lens?

      Carol Beigel
    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Beigel"
        <thecarolb@...> wrote:

        > I don't own a digital SLR camera and can buy a new Canon 30D for
        $699, body
        > only. Is this a good camera to try to take pictures like Kent does?
        Any
        > thoughts about a lens?
        >
        > Carol Beigel

        That's a great deal and you can definately take images like Kent, If
        you have the right equipment. I'll let them take it from here
      • Jean-Paul Richard
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
          Carol:

          I read that the 30D sensor is the same as the one in the 20D.
          The reviews at

          http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/digital/m/17424755/expert/st=product_tab/

          are very positive on the 30D. It is seen as a (slightly) improved 20D.
          The noise performance of the 20D is reviewed in great details
          at:
          http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary/

          You may save some money by buying the 30D with a lens. US1camera has a
          price of
          $808. for the 30D and a 18-55mm Lens kit. I did business with them and
          was very satisfied.
          For astropictures, I have been very please with a 300mm lens and
          using an LX90 with reducer for 1200 or so mm. Many (some quite expensive)
          500-700mm telescopes are available for Astrophotography. Many
          I assume would cover the sensor of the 30D. That sensor as is the case
          for most CCD
          sensors is smaller than the 24mm x36mm film frame. Adapters are available
          for the EOS Canon cameras such as the 30D to mount in various ways
          to telescopes.
          Good luck
          Jean-Paul Richard.