USA 179, the "decaying satellite"

  • Rick Barnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2008
      I saw USA 179 Tuesday night. Shortly after sunset, (it was about
      6:15pm) I spied several first, maybe second magnitude stars. And here
      comes something rising 30d above SW. Getting brighter, moving very
      fast over NW 61d. Stayed very bright for a short period.
      Disappearance was rather quick.

      Opening remarks of STS-122 Post Mission Briefing
      "Unbelievable successful mission. . . "Can't say enough about how the
      shuttle performed. . ."

      Atlantis back at Cape
      Atlantis rolled to a stop about 9:09 AM EST. Bringing EXP 15 Dan Tani
      after 120 days in space.

      Mission STS-122 was 12d 18h 21m 55s and logged 5.3 million miles.

      Something is going up Mar. 11 - Mar 23 (Soyuz?)

      Next shuttle flight May 25 for Discovery, STS-123 to Hubble.