Re: Mallard Lodge tonight...CANCELLED

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2008
      Smyrna has had steady snow since 2:30PM; currently we have a at least 2"-3"
      on the roads and DelDot has not yet salted/sanded or plowed US 13.

      It is continuing to snow and the current temp is 28F with forecasted low of
      15-17F.

      I believe the roads, which are currently very slick, will get worse befoe
      they improve.

      Therefore, I suggest that all the people who intended to go to Mallard Lodge
      tonight cancel their plans.

      If it cleas later please view from your estate.

      See you at the next meeting.

      Don...

      >From: kentblackwell <kent@...>
      >Date: 2008/02/20 Wed PM 01:33:48 CST
      >To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Eclipsing

      >Just a note to wish clear skies to my DE & MD friends. The forecast
      >isn't too good in Virginia Beach but it appears the further south one
      >goes the better. The ~prediction~ for Coinjock NC is for the clouds to
      >begin rolling in around 11:00 pm tonight. I'm sort of committed to be
      >at the Chesapeake Planetarium in Chesapeake VA, where the prediction is
      >for clouds by 9:00 pm, with a clearing from 11:00 until midnight.
      >
      >Who know????????????? Nevertheless, I hope you see it because the next
      >total one isn't until December 20, 2010; and that'll be a very early
      >morning eclipse with 2nd contact at 2:39 am.
      >
      >Kent

    • Jerry Truitt
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008

        Thanks Don, it was another good idea spoiled by the weather.

        I didn't see your cancellation until later in the evening while watching the eclipse, smoking a cigar and enjoying a fine beverage.

        I tried to make the Lodge but my out riggers took off in different direction when I hit the walk way so I decided it would be best if I stayed put at home. Crutches do not work well on snow and ice.

        The sky was clear as a bell in Chesapeake City . The eclipse was a beautiful one which I enjoyed. Only good friends to share stories with were missing.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008
          i checkd the skies until 10:45...no clear sky at all so I put my carcass to bed at 11:00pm.

          the roads did improve by 9:00PM...not sure if the weather warmed or DelDot salted.

          i still have my cigars...next event to be scheduled.

          Don...

          "Jerry Truitt" <Truittjs@...>
          Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

          02/21/2008 09:53 AM

          Please respond to
          delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

          delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Subject
          [delmarvastargazers] Re: Mallard Lodge tonight...CANCELLED

          Thanks Don, it was another good idea spoiled by the weather.

          I didn't see your cancellation until later in the evening while watching the eclipse, smoking a cigar and enjoying a fine beverage.

          I tried to make the Lodge but my out riggers took off in different direction when I hit the walk way so I decided it would be best if I stayed put at home. Crutches do not work well on snow and ice.

          The sky was clear as a bell in Chesapeake City. The eclipse was a beautiful one which I enjoyed. Only good friends to share stories with were missing.

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

          > Smyrna has had steady snow since 2:30PM; currently we have a at least
          2"-3"
          > on the roads and DelDot has not yet salted/sanded or plowed US 13.
          >
          > It is continuing to snow and the current temp is 28F with forecasted
          low of
          > 15-17F.
          >
          > I believe the roads, which are currently very slick, will get worse
          befoe
          > they improve.
          >
          > Therefore, I suggest that all the people who intended to go to Mallard
          Lodge
          > tonight cancel their plans.
          >
          > If it cleas later please view from your estate.
          >
          > See you at the next meeting.
          >
          > Don...
          >

          > >From: kentblackwell kent@...
          > >Date: 2008/02/20 Wed PM 01:33:48 CST
          > >To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Eclipsing
          >

          > >Just a note to wish clear skies to my DE & MD friends. The
          forecast
          > >isn't too good in Virginia Beach but it appears the further south
          one
          > >goes the better. The ~prediction~ for Coinjock NC is for the clouds
          > >begin rolling in around 11:00 pm tonight. I'm sort of committed
          to be
          > >at the Chesapeake Planetarium in Chesapeake VA, where the prediction
          is
          > >for clouds by 9:00 pm, with a clearing from 11:00 until midnight.
          > >
          > >Who know????????????? Nevertheless, I hope you see it because
          the next
          > >total one isn't until December 20, 2010; and that'll be a very
          early
          > >morning eclipse with 2nd contact at 2:39 am.
          > >
          > >Kent

          transfers of data to third parties.

        • Jones Lyle A. (DNREC)
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008

             The skies cleared in Dover about 9:50. The eclipse was great but from Dover the copper color was not as intense  as I have seen  in the past.     Thought, the copper color seemed to last along time.