Night of firsts

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      Had a quick hour and a half session tonight with my 10". The wind
      chill was a little much for my ears and fingers, had to come in
      early. It was another great transparent night, seeing wasn't as good
      as last night though. It was a night of firsts! First observing
      session of the year and I bagged the very first NGC object! Yup,
      NGC1! I also observed comet Lovas. It's weird that Comet Holmes,
      Tuttle, and Lovas are all in the same area of the sky. Pretty cool.
      My newly bagged objects are below. (M77 was observed before, but not
      logged)

      Observing Log Entries for 93P/Lovas

      Date: 2008 January 1 07:44p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Comet
      Apparent Position: RA. 01h20m29.5s Dec. +28°27'07" (Psc)
      Magnitude: 13.5
      Object Altitude: 73°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 2/5
      invisible
      with direct vision. Round. Can't see a coma.

      Observing Log Entries for NGC 7817

      Date: 2008 January 1 06:27p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Galaxy
      Apparent Position: RA. 00h04m23.8s Dec. +20°47'58" (Peg)
      Magnitude: 12.9
      Object Altitude: 68°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 2/5
      difficult.
      Elongated, There's a bright 7.4 magnitude star several arc minutes
      away.

      Observing Log Entries for NGC 1

      Date: 2008 January 1 06:27p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Galaxy
      Apparent Position: RA. 00h07m40.8s Dec. +27°45'21" (Peg)
      Magnitude: 13.7
      Object Altitude: 73°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 2/5
      pretty
      small, fairly faint. Can't really see much detail-wise. Appears
      round.

      Observing Log Entries for NGC 275

      Date: 2008 January 1 06:27p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Galaxy
      Apparent Position: RA. 00h51m29.4s Dec. -07°01'19" (Cet)
      Magnitude: 12.7
      Object Altitude: 44°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 2/5
      patch. No
      detail. Not sure if NGC274 is a part of it or not. Even brightness,
      difficult.

      Observing Log Entries for NGC 536

      Date: 2008 January 1 06:47p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Galaxy
      Apparent Position: RA. 01h26m49.8s Dec. +34°44'56" (And)
      Magnitude: 13.2
      Object Altitude: 86°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 2/5
      Unsteady,
      Low surface.

      Observing Log Entries for M 77

      Date: 2008 January 1 08:04p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Galaxy
      Apparent Position: RA. 02h43m06.6s Dec. +00°01'19" (Cet)
      Magnitude: 9.5
      Object Altitude: 51°
      Conditions: Transparency: 4/5
      Seeing: 2/5