Last observing session of 2007

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2007
      Finally the end of 2007. The worst stargazing year for me yet! The
      clouds, the humidity, the nor'easterns, oh how lovely it was. Tonight
      was 100% clear with spectacular transparency. I could see Comet Tuttle
      (6.3 magnitude) with the naked eye. Milky way was quite bright for
      the winter, skies were black, light domes were short, it was a good
      night! Dew was fairly wet, but not to bad at first. It got pretty bad
      as the night went on. My telrad again looked like it did in my last
      report. My 10" was soaked, like if it came out of a sauna. Seeing was
      alright at first, but quickly degraded as the night went on. I had a
      fun night though. Came in and watched Saturday Night Live for an hour
      for my warm up break(33F outside!). Bagged several new objects. My
      logs are below. The Collinders and NGC2215 were re-logs, as I didn't
      give any info on them when I previously bagged them due to either a
      dead laptop or cold fingers.

      Observing Log Entries for 8P/Tuttle

      Date: 2007 December 31 07:02p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Comet
      Apparent Position: RA. 01h36m44.3s Dec. +26°18'21" (Psc)
      Magnitude: 6.3
      Object Altitude: 77°
      Conditions: Transparency: 5/5
      Seeing 4/5
      it was with
      my 4.5" when it was just magnitude 9. It's just barely naked eye now
      at
      magnitude 6.3. It was large and considerably bright in my 50mm
      finder. In the
      scope it was large and bright. Great bright core with bright, grey
      fluff ball
      surrounding it. No tail seen.

      Observing Log Entries for J 320

      Date: 2007 December 31 10:17p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Planetary Nebula
      Apparent Position: RA. 05h06m02.7s Dec. +10°43'08" (Ori)
      Magnitude: 12.9
      Object Altitude: 62°
      Conditions: Transparency: 5/5
      Seeing: 3/5
      since Kent
      mentioned it to me a year ago. The mistke that I made is that I
      blinked a
      filter, thinking I could get something to pop out. From using
      SkyTools, I go
      the the starfield, blinked, but nothing. So I moved along but found
      no other
      matching starfield. I again refound the "l" shaped asterism and
      blinked some
      more, failed. I then put in my 11T6 and there it was. Small, fuzzy
      blinking
      star.I then again tried blinking a filter, nothing. Must be a proto-
      planetary
      nebula! The seeing has degraded, but I still popped in my 6.7mm UWA
      and it came
      out steady as a tiny, fuzzy, grey disk. Mission accomoplished.

      Observing Log Entries for NGC 896

      Date: 2007 December 31 06:25p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Diffuse Nebula
      Apparent Position: RA. 02h26m08.0s Dec. +62°03'32" (Cas)
      Object Altitude: 63°
      Conditions: Transparency: 5/5
      Seeing 4/5
      with a
      filter it's quite easy. Responds well to the OIII, best with an
      Ultrablock. I
      can only see nebulosity around the 10th magnitude star BD +61 00411.
      Looks like
      a large, diffused planetary with twin lobes like M27. I wish I could
      see more.

      Observing Log Entries for IC 1805

      Date: 2007 December 31 07:52p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Diffuse Nebula
      Apparent Position: RA. 02h33m20.3s Dec. +61°29'29" (Cas)
      Magnitude: 6.5
      Object Altitude: 67°
      Conditions: Transparency: 5/5
      Seeing 4/5
      beautiful, rich,
      very bright open cluster. Quite loose. What's unique about this
      perticular
      cluster is the oval asterism of stars in the center. It's also easily
      visible
      in my 50mm finder. Estimate of about 25 stars.

      Observing Log Entries for Collinder 69

      Date: 2008 January 1 12:00a
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Open Cluster
      Apparent Position: RA. 05h35m31.7s Dec. +09°56'19" (Ori)
      Magnitude: 2.8
      Object Altitude: 58°
      Conditions: Transparency: 5/5
      Seeing: 3/5
      like a one armed, one
      legged alien. Well, It actually looks like a fully bodied alien. Has
      2 legs,
      head like ET's, and 2 arms with a body. Like an ET cluster, This is
      neat.

      Observing Log Entries for Collinder 89

      Date: 2007 December 31 10:36p
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Open Cluster
      Apparent Position: RA. 06h18m34.3s Dec. +23°37'42" (Gem)
      Magnitude: 5.7
      Object Altitude: 69°
      Conditions: Transparency: 5/5
      Seeing: 3/5
      M35.
      Finderscope actually shows both in the same FOV!

      Observing Log Entries for NGC 2215

      Date: 2008 January 1 12:00a
      Observer: CJ Wood
      Location: Home
      Instrument: Coulter Odyssey 10
      Object Type: Open Cluster
      Apparent Position: RA. 06h21m26.4s Dec. -07°16'36" (Mon)
      Magnitude: 8.6
      Object Altitude: 44°