Speed Observing

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      CSC said that tonight was going to be dark red humidity, so I
      thought "To heavy of dew". My dad wanted to go to family night at
      church and wanted me to come. So I went, came back to what supposed
      to be a dewed 14.5"...wrong. Not a single drop of dew...even on the
      ground. ARGH! Which means, 45 minutes until moonrise. Time to put on
      my racing goggles on, time to speed observe. Went inside to grab my
      eyepiece case, collimator, and laptop. After being collimated and had
      the telrad alligned, I had 40 minutes left. Time was ticking, I
      quickly spun the scope around for my first object, IC5217 in Lacerta.
      After panning the area for a bit, I did not pick up this stellar
      planetary. Not a good start! But I didn't waste time and went for my
      next object IC5117 and was successful. I was also successful for the
      next 3 objects after that until I ran out of time and the dang fox
      came trotting back. Amazing that he came Monday night at the exact
      time of moonrise too. Below are my notes of the newly bagged objects.

      Planetary Nebulae-
      IC5117: Striking stellar PN. Seen as a bright blue flash unfiltered.
      I could barely hold it steady with averted vision. Next to 2 bright
      stars, looks like a stellar double of one of them. Below it is
      another 3 stars that looks exactly the same, except one is a star and
      not a PN! With the OIII the PN is so bright it'll blow a hole through
      your head. Non stellar at 330x(didn't try 200x), still slightly blue.
      650x made it into a small disk.

      NGC6884: Small, bright planetary. Says it's stellar, but I see it
      quite steady at 89x. Directly it's steady, but not so bright. Averted
      vision it really gets bright. Blinking the OIII made it outshine it's
      neighbor(star nearby). Quite large for being stellar. Seen as a
      small, puffy disk.

      IC2003: Remarkable stellar PN. Actually, it's not stellar at all.
      Small blue disk unfiltered. Blinking an OIII filter will make it
      blind you. Faint star right underneath, double star about 3 or 4
      arcminutes above it.

      Other Nebulae-
      NGC6857: Great, small emission nebula in Cygnus. It was once
      classified as a planetary until not to long ago. Small, it said
      online that it was 3', but I think it's about 2'. With an OIII it's
      annular-like, round. Star just outside the edge. Without the filter
      the nebula is faint. Star involved, basically at center. It does
      indeed look like a planetary, interesting object.

      Man that comet is something else eh? Tonight at 87x my eyes were huge
      looking at it. So bright, so huge, so much detail. Nice fainter outer
      halo. Loving it!