Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Objects for No-Frills

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 8 11:27 AM

      Kent...1250X with a 25" F-5....how many barlows are you using?

      will I need a magnifying glass to see the eyelens of the eyepiece?

      Don...

      "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
      Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      10/08/2007 12:50 PM

      Please respond to
      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [delmarvastargazers] Re: Objects for No-Frills

      I must see the Blue Snowball at 1,250x that you were talking about! I
      can't wait to see NGC2392 again at 650x in my scope, Oh gosh...!

      I've seen them all but the top 2(I can see M15 naked eye every decent
      night here!). I have seen a few nebulae in Cephus, What's the
      catalogue of the nebula?

      By looking at the weather models of NOAA. Here's what I got so far.
      It has improved. I'm sure it'll be good by Wednesday!

      Wednesday
      Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM to Mostly Clear in the PM.
      Night: Clear, low 57. Humidity peaks 90.

      Thursday
      Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
      Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53. Humidity
      peaks 90.

      Friday
      Day: Mostly Cloudy, chance of rain, 20%.
      Night: Partly Cloudy, Clear holes at times. Slight chance of rain.
      Low
      48, Humidity peaks 85.

      Saturday
      Day: Partly cloudy in the AM, Mostly clear in the PM.
      Night: Mostly clear, a few passing clouds. Low 47, Humidity peaks 82

      Sunday
      Day: Clear and beautiful
      Night: Clear, Low 47

      transfers of data to third parties.

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 8 11:57 AM

        WeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeather???

        see below...

        Thursday
        Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
        Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53. Humidity
        peaks 90.

        we are supposed to have heavy rains at 53 degrees...where is this rain originating?

        we get heavy rains from the south and southwest...and they are warmer now than we are.  it is cold in the rockies but we don't get heavy rains from the rockies...too much opportunity for the clouds to drop their moisture in the 2500 miles twixt here and there.  and remember, those clouds originated in the Pacific, have already crossed the Cascades and Rockies, and dropped most  of their moisture before the get to the Plains and Mississippi.

        our weather forecasters need to step outside...it hasn't rained on Delmarva for so long they have forgotten what rain is except for a reference found in computer models.

        come to the star party and enjoy the real "atmosphere".

[...]

      • Steven Long
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8 12:23 PM
          Don R Surles wrote:

          > WeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeather???
          >
          > see below...
          >
          > Thursday
          > Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
          > Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53. Humidity
          > peaks 90.

          Sheesh, Don, where did you see that? "Pete's Pessimistic Precipitation
          Prognostication Page?"

          The weather channel says Marydel (my nearest reportable station) is going
          to experience clear to partly cloudy weather through the period with some
          cloudiness and a 30% chance of showers early on Friday. Highs will start
          near 80 but drop to the mid 60s, and lows will start in the low 60s and
          drop to the upper 40s.

          Marydel is about 15 miles in a straight line from Tuckahoe. Pessimistic
          Pete's heavy rainfall would have to be pretty localized ...

          Steve
        • kentblackwell
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8 12:39 PM
            No, Don, merely a single 2.5mm TMB eyepiece with a 60-degree field of
            view and about 18mm eye relief! The 3.5mm Pentax works great, too. It
            has a 70-degree field but only yields 900x. I mean, really, who wants
            to look at anything at that low power?

            Kent

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-
            1@...> wrote:

            > Kent...1250X with a 25" F-5....how many barlows are you using?
            >
            > will I need a magnifying glass to see the eyelens of the eyepiece?
            >
            > Don...
            >

            > "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
            > Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > 10/08/2007 12:50 PM
            > Please respond to
            > delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

            > delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > cc
            >
            > Subject
            > [delmarvastargazers] Re: Objects for No-Frills
            >

            > I must see the Blue Snowball at 1,250x that you were talking about!
            > can't wait to see NGC2392 again at 650x in my scope, Oh gosh...!
            >
            > I've seen them all but the top 2(I can see M15 naked eye every
            decent
            > night here!). I have seen a few nebulae in Cephus, What's the
            > catalogue of the nebula?
            >
            > By looking at the weather models of NOAA. Here's what I got so far.
            > It has improved. I'm sure it'll be good by Wednesday!
            >
            > Wednesday
            > Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM to Mostly Clear in the PM.
            > Night: Clear, low 57. Humidity peaks 90.
            >
            > Thursday
            > Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
            > Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53.
            Humidity
            > peaks 90.
            >
            > Friday
            > Day: Mostly Cloudy, chance of rain, 20%.
            > Night: Partly Cloudy, Clear holes at times. Slight chance of rain.
            > Low
            > 48, Humidity peaks 85.
            >
            > Saturday
            > Day: Partly cloudy in the AM, Mostly clear in the PM.
            > Night: Mostly clear, a few passing clouds. Low 47, Humidity peaks 82
            >
            > Sunday
            > Day: Clear and beautiful
            > Night: Clear, Low 47
            >

            > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains
            > information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted
            under
            > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
            hereby
            > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
            mail,
            > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
            sender by
            > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
            explicitly
            > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail
            does
            > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an
            acceptance
            > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to
            the
            > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes
            or for
            > transfers of data to third parties.
            >
            > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese
            Korean

          • mborgia@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8 12:41 PM
              Hmmmmm....25 inches times five is 125 inches focal length....

              That equals 3125 mm...

              Soooooooo....

              A 5 mm eyepiece yields 625 x

              Thereforrrrreeeee....

              A single 2x Barlow gets the job done!!!!

              From: Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-1@...>

              "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@hotmail. com>

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8 1:00 PM
                Well...I must see this 2.5mm ep and Art Bianconi's $1000 Nagler...

                Christmas is coming!

                Don...

                "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
                Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                10/08/2007 03:49 PM

                Please respond to

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8 1:39 PM
                  Don, the TMB eyepieces are OK but nothing to shout about; just your
                  typical $100 eyepiece. It works well in my refractor, that's why I
                  bought it. Actually, for some reason I prefer the TMB's to my
                  Radians. Both are about equal in image quality, but not build quality
                  and certainly not price! The Pentax XW is superior to both, but alas,
                  Pentax has no 2.5mm, only a 3.5mm. I only used the TMB 2.5mm because,
                  well, it was the only one I had. Oh wait, I think I have a Vixen
                  2.5mm somewhere.

                  All I can say is, when using any 2.5mm in the 25" is, "Look fast!"

                  1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  hereby
                  > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
                  mail,
                  > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
                  sender by
                  > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
                  explicitly
                  > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail
                  does
                  > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an
                  acceptance
                  > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to
                  the
                  > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes
                  or for
                  > transfers of data to third parties.
                  >
                  > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese

                • Jean-Paul Richard
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8 1:56 PM
                    Kent:
                    There is a Nagler 80 degrees of 2.5mm. You would get an
                    additional 1/1000 of a sec observing time for only $250. more
                    that your TMB.
                    Jean-Paul

                    kentblackwell wrote:

                    > Don, the TMB eyepieces are OK but nothing to shout about; just your
                    > typical $100 eyepiece. It works well in my refractor, that's why I
                    > bought it. Actually, for some reason I prefer the TMB's to my
                    > Radians. Both are about equal in image quality, but not build quality
                    > and certainly not price! The Pentax XW is superior to both, but alas,
                    > Pentax has no 2.5mm, only a 3.5mm. I only used the TMB 2.5mm because,
                    > well, it was the only one I had. Oh wait, I think I have a Vixen
                    > 2.5mm somewhere.
                    >
                    > All I can say is, when using any 2.5mm in the 25" is, "Look fast!"
                    >
                    > Kent
                    >
                    > ---

                  • kentblackwell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8 3:33 PM
                      Hey, good idea, I think I should order one. In fact, let's get two
                      and a binocular viewer.

                      Kent

                      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard
                      <jrtf@...> wrote:

                      > Kent:
                      > There is a Nagler 80 degrees of 2.5mm. You would get an
                      > additional 1/1000 of a sec observing time for only $250. more
                      > that your TMB.
                      > Jean-Paul
                      >
                      > kentblackwell wrote:
                      >
                      > > Don, the TMB eyepieces are OK but nothing to shout about; just
                      your
                      > > typical $100 eyepiece. It works well in my refractor, that's why I
                      > > bought it. Actually, for some reason I prefer the TMB's to my
                      > > Radians. Both are about equal in image quality, but not build
                      quality
                      > > and certainly not price! The Pentax XW is superior to both, but
                      alas,
                      > > Pentax has no 2.5mm, only a 3.5mm. I only used the TMB 2.5mm
                      because,
                      > > well, it was the only one I had. Oh wait, I think I have a Vixen
                      > > 2.5mm somewhere.
                      > >
                      > > All I can say is, when using any 2.5mm in the 25" is, "Look fast!"
                      > >
                      > > Kent
                      > >
                      > > ---

                    • Rick Barnes
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10 5:57 AM
                        ISS Expedition 16/Spaceflight Participant Live Launch Coverage from
                        Baikonur, Kazakhstan (launch scheduled at 9:22 a.m. ET, Wednesday
                        October 10) - JSC
                        http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html

                        "Space crew prepares for blastoff

                        BAIKONUR, Kazakhstan (AP) -- Medics performed final checks Wednesday
                        on a Russian, American and Malaysian crew preparing to ride a Soyuz
                        rocket to the international space station.

                        The first Malaysian in space - Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor - will join
                        U.S. astronaut Peggy Whitson and Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko
                        aboard the cramped capsule on the two-day trip to the orbiting
                        station. . ."
                        http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RUSSIA_SPACE?SITE=DEWIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                        The mission is expected to last about about nine days.

                        I will post observing opportunites as they become available.

                        Clear Skies,
                        Rick Barnes