Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Objects for No-Frills

  • PJ Riley
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
      weather, smeather, too much data.
      Come out Wed., look up, if you see
      1 star, it's daytime,
      many stars - it's night time.
      no stars, it's cloudy - have a hotdog !

      There will be weather during the period of Wed. to
      Sun. - changes frequently....
      Pj
      P.S. - just my 2 ยข

      --- "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007

        Kent...1250X with a 25" F-5....how many barlows are you using?

        will I need a magnifying glass to see the eyelens of the eyepiece?

        Don...

        "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
        Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

        10/08/2007 12:50 PM

        Please respond to
        delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

        delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
[...]

        transfers of data to third parties.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007

          WeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeather???

          see below...

          Thursday
          Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
          Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53. Humidity
          peaks 90.

          we are supposed to have heavy rains at 53 degrees...where is this rain originating?

          we get heavy rains from the south and southwest...and they are warmer now than we are.  it is cold in the rockies but we don't get heavy rains from the rockies...too much opportunity for the clouds to drop their moisture in the 2500 miles twixt here and there.  and remember, those clouds originated in the Pacific, have already crossed the Cascades and Rockies, and dropped most  of their moisture before the get to the Plains and Mississippi.

          our weather forecasters need to step outside...it hasn't rained on Delmarva for so long they have forgotten what rain is except for a reference found in computer models.

          come to the star party and enjoy the real "atmosphere".

[...]

        • Steven Long
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
            Don R Surles wrote:

            > WeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeatherWeather???
            >
            > see below...
            >
            > Thursday
            > Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
            > Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53. Humidity
            > peaks 90.

            Sheesh, Don, where did you see that? "Pete's Pessimistic Precipitation
            Prognostication Page?"

            The weather channel says Marydel (my nearest reportable station) is going
            to experience clear to partly cloudy weather through the period with some
            cloudiness and a 30% chance of showers early on Friday. Highs will start
            near 80 but drop to the mid 60s, and lows will start in the low 60s and
            drop to the upper 40s.

            Marydel is about 15 miles in a straight line from Tuckahoe. Pessimistic
            Pete's heavy rainfall would have to be pretty localized ...

            Steve
          • kentblackwell
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              No, Don, merely a single 2.5mm TMB eyepiece with a 60-degree field of
              view and about 18mm eye relief! The 3.5mm Pentax works great, too. It
              has a 70-degree field but only yields 900x. I mean, really, who wants
              to look at anything at that low power?

              Kent

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-
              1@...> wrote:

              > Kent...1250X with a 25" F-5....how many barlows are you using?
              >
              > will I need a magnifying glass to see the eyelens of the eyepiece?
              >
              > Don...
              >

              > "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
              > Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
              > 10/08/2007 12:50 PM
              > Please respond to
              > delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

              > delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
              > cc
              >
              > Subject
              > [delmarvastargazers] Re: Objects for No-Frills
              >

              > I must see the Blue Snowball at 1,250x that you were talking about!
              > can't wait to see NGC2392 again at 650x in my scope, Oh gosh...!
              >
              > I've seen them all but the top 2(I can see M15 naked eye every
              decent
              > night here!). I have seen a few nebulae in Cephus, What's the
              > catalogue of the nebula?
              >
              > By looking at the weather models of NOAA. Here's what I got so far.
              > It has improved. I'm sure it'll be good by Wednesday!
              >
              > Wednesday
              > Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM to Mostly Clear in the PM.
              > Night: Clear, low 57. Humidity peaks 90.
              >
              > Thursday
              > Day: Partly Cloudy in the AM, Increasing clouds in the PM.
              > Night: Rain, Heavy at times. 60%(lets hope not eh?), low 53.
              Humidity
              > peaks 90.
              >
              > Friday
              > Day: Mostly Cloudy, chance of rain, 20%.
              > Night: Partly Cloudy, Clear holes at times. Slight chance of rain.
              > Low
              > 48, Humidity peaks 85.
              >
              > Saturday
              > Day: Partly cloudy in the AM, Mostly clear in the PM.
              > Night: Mostly clear, a few passing clouds. Low 47, Humidity peaks 82
              >
              > Sunday
              > Day: Clear and beautiful
              > Night: Clear, Low 47
              >

              > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains
              > information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted
              under
              > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
              hereby
              > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
              mail,
              > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
              sender by
              > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
              explicitly
              > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail
              does
              > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an
              acceptance
              > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to
              the
              > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes
              or for
              > transfers of data to third parties.
              >
              > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese
              Korean

            • mborgia@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                Hmmmmm....25 inches times five is 125 inches focal length....

                That equals 3125 mm...

                Soooooooo....

                A 5 mm eyepiece yields 625 x

                Thereforrrrreeeee....

                A single 2x Barlow gets the job done!!!!

                From: Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-1@...>

                "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@hotmail. com>

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Well...I must see this 2.5mm ep and Art Bianconi's $1000 Nagler...

                  Christmas is coming!

                  Don...

                  "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
                  Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                  10/08/2007 03:49 PM

                  Please respond to

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    Don, the TMB eyepieces are OK but nothing to shout about; just your
                    typical $100 eyepiece. It works well in my refractor, that's why I
                    bought it. Actually, for some reason I prefer the TMB's to my
                    Radians. Both are about equal in image quality, but not build quality
                    and certainly not price! The Pentax XW is superior to both, but alas,
                    Pentax has no 2.5mm, only a 3.5mm. I only used the TMB 2.5mm because,
                    well, it was the only one I had. Oh wait, I think I have a Vixen
                    2.5mm somewhere.

                    All I can say is, when using any 2.5mm in the 25" is, "Look fast!"

                    1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    hereby
                    > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
                    mail,
                    > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
                    sender by
                    > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
                    explicitly
                    > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail
                    does
                    > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an
                    acceptance
                    > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to
                    the
                    > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes
                    or for
                    > transfers of data to third parties.
                    >
                    > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese

                  • Jean-Paul Richard
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Kent:
                      There is a Nagler 80 degrees of 2.5mm. You would get an
                      additional 1/1000 of a sec observing time for only $250. more
                      that your TMB.
                      Jean-Paul

                      kentblackwell wrote:

                      > Don, the TMB eyepieces are OK but nothing to shout about; just your
                      > typical $100 eyepiece. It works well in my refractor, that's why I
                      > bought it. Actually, for some reason I prefer the TMB's to my
                      > Radians. Both are about equal in image quality, but not build quality
                      > and certainly not price! The Pentax XW is superior to both, but alas,
                      > Pentax has no 2.5mm, only a 3.5mm. I only used the TMB 2.5mm because,
                      > well, it was the only one I had. Oh wait, I think I have a Vixen
                      > 2.5mm somewhere.
                      >
                      > All I can say is, when using any 2.5mm in the 25" is, "Look fast!"
                      >
                      > Kent
                      >
                      > ---

                    • kentblackwell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                        Hey, good idea, I think I should order one. In fact, let's get two
                        and a binocular viewer.

                        Kent

                        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard
                        <jrtf@...> wrote:

                        > Kent:
                        > There is a Nagler 80 degrees of 2.5mm. You would get an
                        > additional 1/1000 of a sec observing time for only $250. more
                        > that your TMB.
                        > Jean-Paul
                        >
                        > kentblackwell wrote:
                        >
                        > > Don, the TMB eyepieces are OK but nothing to shout about; just
                        your
                        > > typical $100 eyepiece. It works well in my refractor, that's why I
                        > > bought it. Actually, for some reason I prefer the TMB's to my
                        > > Radians. Both are about equal in image quality, but not build
                        quality
                        > > and certainly not price! The Pentax XW is superior to both, but
                        alas,
                        > > Pentax has no 2.5mm, only a 3.5mm. I only used the TMB 2.5mm
                        because,
                        > > well, it was the only one I had. Oh wait, I think I have a Vixen
                        > > 2.5mm somewhere.
                        > >
                        > > All I can say is, when using any 2.5mm in the 25" is, "Look fast!"
                        > >
                        > > Kent
                        > >
                        > > ---

                      • Rick Barnes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                          ISS Expedition 16/Spaceflight Participant Live Launch Coverage from
                          Baikonur, Kazakhstan (launch scheduled at 9:22 a.m. ET, Wednesday
                          October 10) - JSC
                          http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html

                          "Space crew prepares for blastoff

                          BAIKONUR, Kazakhstan (AP) -- Medics performed final checks Wednesday
                          on a Russian, American and Malaysian crew preparing to ride a Soyuz
                          rocket to the international space station.

                          The first Malaysian in space - Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor - will join
                          U.S. astronaut Peggy Whitson and Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko
                          aboard the cramped capsule on the two-day trip to the orbiting
                          station. . ."
                          http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RUSSIA_SPACE?SITE=DEWIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                          The mission is expected to last about about nine days.

                          I will post observing opportunites as they become available.

                          Clear Skies,
                          Rick Barnes