More fun with planetaries

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      Since No-Frills is coming up I checked out a few esoteric, stellar
      planetaries last night that might be challenging. Just to keep it fun
      for everyone these were all visible in my 4" under a near full moon.

      Vy2-2
      Minkowski 1-70
      12.7 magnitude
      Size: 14"
      19h 24m 22s
      +09 deg 55'

      Minkowski 1-74
      12.8 magnitude
      Size: 5"
      19h 42m
      +15 deg 10'

      Me 2-2
      PN G100.0-08.7
      Size: 11.5 magnitude
      Size unknown (I confirmed it was stellar in my 4" on 8/30/07)
      22h 32m
      +47 deg 48'

      If anyone just bought a new high-quality small refractor they may
      like to try splitting Sigma Aqr. Even at 325x in my 4" it was tough.
      The separation isn't particularly tight at 3.7-arc seconds but the
      secondary star is nearly four magnitudes fainter than the primary.
      This will probably be a bit easier on a moonless night than it was
      last night, but let me know if you split it.

      Sigma Aqr
      22h 31m
      -10 deg 41'
      4.8 and 8.47 magnitude
      Separation 3.7"

      I am SO wound up and ready to observe!!

      Kent Blackwell
    • PJ Riley
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
        The October Meetin' of the Delmarva Stargazers is
        scheduled for tomorrow night (Tues., 10/2) at Mallard
        Lodge, 7PM. Both visitors and newbies are welcome!

        See the website or your September newsletter for
        directions.

        Also bring some glass, for an inpromptu star gaze
        after the meetin'.

        Pj

        Questions?: pjr127@...

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/