Re: scope tubes

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
      Dag on, a TUBE for a 24"? No thanks! Just imagine how much that'll
      weigh!
    • kentblackwell
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
        Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward to move
        about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy duty 8'
        double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
        atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself. I
        also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that thing?

        Kent Blackwell

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>
        wrote:

        > Tim Milligan wrote:
        > >
        > > All I need now is a rocket to launch it into orbit and a really
        tall
        > > ladder.
        >
        > Not cheap, but worth every penny:
        >
        > http://www.tallmanladders.com/astronomer.html
        >
        > shipping costs drop fast if you can buddy up with someone else on a
        > group order.
        >
        > This the right tool for the job, a four legged ladder is the wrong
        tool,
        > IMHO.
        >
        > Bob
        >

        > > http://www.discovery-telescopes.com
        > > http://www.astrosystems.biz/telekits.htm
        > > http://www.ostahowskioptics.com/index.htm
        > >

        > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard
        > > <jrtf@> wrote:
        > >> Tim:
        > >> Congratulations !. What brand is it ?
        > >> Jean-Paul

        Any
        > > after it

        > > at a

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tim Milligan
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
          Kent,

          I was thinking the same thing, and was considering a solution like
          yours. Are these the casters or big rubber wheels? How do they roll
          over field terrain?

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
          wrote:

          > Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward to move
          > about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy duty 8'
          > double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
          > atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself. I
          > also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that thing?
          >
          > Kent Blackwell
          >
          > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Tim Milligan wrote:
          > > >
          > > > All I need now is a rocket to launch it into orbit and a really
          > tall
          > > > ladder.
          > >
          > > Not cheap, but worth every penny:
          > >
          > > http://www.tallmanladders.com/astronomer.html
          > >
          > > shipping costs drop fast if you can buddy up with someone else on
          > > group order.
          > >
          > > This the right tool for the job, a four legged ladder is the
          wrong
          > tool,
          > > IMHO.
          > >
          > > Bob
          > >

          > > > http://www.discovery-telescopes.com
          > > > http://www.astrosystems.biz/telekits.htm
          > > > http://www.ostahowskioptics.com/index.htm
          > > >

          > > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard

          > Any
          > > > after it

          > > > at a

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tim Milligan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
            CJ,

            Remember my initial question about 'How many days will it rain after
            the scope arrives?'. We're doomed for a long rainy summer.

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"
            <hotmid6@...> wrote:

            > Awesome!
            >
            > Will you be coming to the ballfield for first light?

          • kentblackwell
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
              They're the sping-loaded wheel kit made for specific Werner ladders.
              I bought my 8' dual-step Werner from Lowes. I called Werner to buy
              the spring loaded casters, but I only put casters on the two rear
              legs of the ladder. The wheels are small diameter but they roll just
              fine in the dirt and grass.

              Email me offline and I'll elaborate. For some reason Yahoo Groups
              doesn't allow posting email address but C.J. Wood, Don Surles and
              others have my email address.

              Kent Blackwell

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Milligan"
              <milligan@...> wrote:

              > Kent,
              >
              > I was thinking the same thing, and was considering a solution like
              > yours. Are these the casters or big rubber wheels? How do they
              roll
              > over field terrain?
              >
              > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward to move
              > > about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy duty
              8'
              > > double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
              > > atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself.
              > > also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that thing?
              > >
              > > Kent Blackwell
              > >
              > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@>
              > > wrote:

              > > tall
              > > >
              > > > Not cheap, but worth every penny:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.tallmanladders.com/astronomer.html
              > > >
              > > > shipping costs drop fast if you can buddy up with someone else
              on
              > > > group order.
              > > >
              > > > This the right tool for the job, a four legged ladder is the
              > wrong
              > > tool,
              > > > IMHO.
              > > >
              > > > Bob

              > > Any

              > out

            • Bob Bunge
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                I still like my three legged monster. It is lighter then any 10 foot
                four legged one I've tried out. I REALLY like this weight feature when
                I lift to put on the roof of the car or van at 2am on the way home. The
                8-inch steps are great, but even then, if I'm between steps and want to
                be comfortable, I only have to kick out the third leg a couple of inches
                and climb back up. The extra wide base allows me to lean WAY over for
                those annoying times when the eyepiece is almost out of reach. Last
                year, at the AHSP on Spruce, the grass had been cut, but was still very
                tall and stiff.

                But, if you want the very, very, very best "ladder" (and telescope), try
                this:

                http://ladyandtramp.com/31-inch/lift_outside-m.jpg

                :-) Nuth'in beats observing sitting down at any height! More views:

                http://ladyandtramp.com/31-inch/

                Clear Skies,

                Bob

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                  here's my 2 cents on ladders for my 25" obsession:

                  1) i started with an 8  foot 4-legged aluminum werner and changed to the 10 foot 3-legged apple picking ladder because

                  2) the 8 foot just wasn't tall enuf to catch objects directly overhead which is the best angle to view (M51 is awesome but from the 8 footer i was at an unsafe angle to the ladder)

                  3) putting the upper cage assembly, ie the "bonnet" on the truss poles requires either moving the ladder to get to the opposite clips or rotating the scope on it's base...there is not enuf distance between the legs of the 8 foot  4-legger to allow the scope to rotate...but with the 10 foot 3 legger i can make plenty of distance and thus the bonnet placing can be done without moving the ladder

                  4) the wide base and 3 legs provide a very solid platform and although the steps are very close together they do provide for comfortable viewing

                  5) i was always fearful someone would fall from the 8-foot 4- legger

                  some things i don't like about the 3-legger:

                  1) to move the ladder you must always be under it with one hand on the step side and the other on the 3rd leg

                  2) there is no "locked" position of the 3rd leg...it is always swinging free

                  3) i need some covers for the feet of the ladder...they always collect dirt/grass/??? and it collects in my trailer

                  4) since the ladder has no "locked" position I do not feel comfortable putting an eyepiece case/tray on it...thus i am always carrying eyepieces up and down the ladder...this gets old about 2 am

                  5) it is heavier than the 8 foot 4 legger...more attention is needed to move the 10 foot 3 legger

                  But, I still use the 10 foot 3 legger and leave the 8 foot 4 legger in my garage to clean out the gutters.

                  Don...

                  Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>
                  Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                  06/05/2007 09:33 PM

                  Please respond to
                  delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                  delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                  cc
                  Subject
                  Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Ladder

                  kentblackwell wrote:

                  > They're the sping-loaded wheel kit made for specific Werner ladders.
                  > I bought my 8' dual-step Werner from Lowes. I called Werner to buy
                  > the spring loaded casters, but I only put casters on the two rear
                  > legs of the ladder. The wheels are small diameter but they roll just
                  > fine in the dirt and grass.
                  >
                  > Email me offline and I'll elaborate. For some reason Yahoo Groups
                  > doesn't allow posting email address but C.J. Wood, Don Surles and
                  > others have my email address.
                  >
                  > Kent Blackwell
                  >
                  > --- In
                  delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Milligan"
                  > <milligan@...> wrote:
                  >> Kent,
                  >>
                  >> I was thinking the same thing, and was considering a solution
                  like
                  >> yours. Are these the casters or big rubber wheels? How do they
                  > roll
                  >> over field terrain?
                  >>
                  >> --- In
                  delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>> Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward
                  to move
                  >>> about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy
                  duty
                  > 8'
                  >>> double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
                  >>> atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself.
                  >>> also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that
                  thing?

                  >>> Kent Blackwell
                  >>>
                  >>> --- In
                  delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@>