Re: Elvis has left the building!

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
      Awesome!

      Will you be coming to the ballfield for first light?
    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
        Dag on, a TUBE for a 24"? No thanks! Just imagine how much that'll
        weigh!
      • kentblackwell
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
          Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward to move
          about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy duty 8'
          double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
          atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself. I
          also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that thing?

          Kent Blackwell

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>
          wrote:

          > Tim Milligan wrote:
          > >
          > > All I need now is a rocket to launch it into orbit and a really
          tall
          > > ladder.
          >
          > Not cheap, but worth every penny:
          >
          > http://www.tallmanladders.com/astronomer.html
          >
          > shipping costs drop fast if you can buddy up with someone else on a
          > group order.
          >
          > This the right tool for the job, a four legged ladder is the wrong
          tool,
          > IMHO.
          >
          > Bob
          >

          > > http://www.discovery-telescopes.com
          > > http://www.astrosystems.biz/telekits.htm
          > > http://www.ostahowskioptics.com/index.htm
          > >

          > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard
          > > <jrtf@> wrote:
          > >> Tim:
          > >> Congratulations !. What brand is it ?
          > >> Jean-Paul

          Any
          > > after it

          > > at a

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tim Milligan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
            Kent,

            I was thinking the same thing, and was considering a solution like
            yours. Are these the casters or big rubber wheels? How do they roll
            over field terrain?

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
            wrote:

            > Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward to move
            > about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy duty 8'
            > double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
            > atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself. I
            > also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that thing?
            >
            > Kent Blackwell
            >
            > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Tim Milligan wrote:
            > > >
            > > > All I need now is a rocket to launch it into orbit and a really
            > tall
            > > > ladder.
            > >
            > > Not cheap, but worth every penny:
            > >
            > > http://www.tallmanladders.com/astronomer.html
            > >
            > > shipping costs drop fast if you can buddy up with someone else on
            > > group order.
            > >
            > > This the right tool for the job, a four legged ladder is the
            wrong
            > tool,
            > > IMHO.
            > >
            > > Bob
            > >

            > > > http://www.discovery-telescopes.com
            > > > http://www.astrosystems.biz/telekits.htm
            > > > http://www.ostahowskioptics.com/index.htm
            > > >

            > > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Paul Richard

            > Any
            > > > after it

            > > > at a

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tim Milligan
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
              CJ,

              Remember my initial question about 'How many days will it rain after
              the scope arrives?'. We're doomed for a long rainy summer.

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                They're the sping-loaded wheel kit made for specific Werner ladders.
                I bought my 8' dual-step Werner from Lowes. I called Werner to buy
                the spring loaded casters, but I only put casters on the two rear
                legs of the ladder. The wheels are small diameter but they roll just
                fine in the dirt and grass.

                Email me offline and I'll elaborate. For some reason Yahoo Groups
                doesn't allow posting email address but C.J. Wood, Don Surles and
                others have my email address.

                Kent Blackwell

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Milligan"
                <milligan@...> wrote:

                > Kent,
                >
                > I was thinking the same thing, and was considering a solution like
                > yours. Are these the casters or big rubber wheels? How do they
                roll
                > over field terrain?
                >
                > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward to move
                > > about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy duty
                8'
                > > double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
                > > atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself.
                > > also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that thing?
                > >
                > > Kent Blackwell
                > >
                > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@>
                > > wrote:

                > > tall
                > > >
                > > > Not cheap, but worth every penny:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.tallmanladders.com/astronomer.html
                > > >
                > > > shipping costs drop fast if you can buddy up with someone else
                on
                > > > group order.
                > > >
                > > > This the right tool for the job, a four legged ladder is the
                > wrong
                > > tool,
                > > > IMHO.
                > > >
                > > > Bob

                > > Any

                > out

              • Bob Bunge
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                  I still like my three legged monster. It is lighter then any 10 foot
                  four legged one I've tried out. I REALLY like this weight feature when
                  I lift to put on the roof of the car or van at 2am on the way home. The
                  8-inch steps are great, but even then, if I'm between steps and want to
                  be comfortable, I only have to kick out the third leg a couple of inches
                  and climb back up. The extra wide base allows me to lean WAY over for
                  those annoying times when the eyepiece is almost out of reach. Last
                  year, at the AHSP on Spruce, the grass had been cut, but was still very
                  tall and stiff.

                  But, if you want the very, very, very best "ladder" (and telescope), try
                  this:

                  http://ladyandtramp.com/31-inch/lift_outside-m.jpg

                  :-) Nuth'in beats observing sitting down at any height! More views:

                  http://ladyandtramp.com/31-inch/

                  Clear Skies,

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                    here's my 2 cents on ladders for my 25" obsession:

                    1) i started with an 8  foot 4-legged aluminum werner and changed to the 10 foot 3-legged apple picking ladder because

                    2) the 8 foot just wasn't tall enuf to catch objects directly overhead which is the best angle to view (M51 is awesome but from the 8 footer i was at an unsafe angle to the ladder)

                    3) putting the upper cage assembly, ie the "bonnet" on the truss poles requires either moving the ladder to get to the opposite clips or rotating the scope on it's base...there is not enuf distance between the legs of the 8 foot  4-legger to allow the scope to rotate...but with the 10 foot 3 legger i can make plenty of distance and thus the bonnet placing can be done without moving the ladder

                    4) the wide base and 3 legs provide a very solid platform and although the steps are very close together they do provide for comfortable viewing

                    5) i was always fearful someone would fall from the 8-foot 4- legger

                    some things i don't like about the 3-legger:

                    1) to move the ladder you must always be under it with one hand on the step side and the other on the 3rd leg

                    2) there is no "locked" position of the 3rd leg...it is always swinging free

                    3) i need some covers for the feet of the ladder...they always collect dirt/grass/??? and it collects in my trailer

                    4) since the ladder has no "locked" position I do not feel comfortable putting an eyepiece case/tray on it...thus i am always carrying eyepieces up and down the ladder...this gets old about 2 am

                    5) it is heavier than the 8 foot 4 legger...more attention is needed to move the 10 foot 3 legger

                    But, I still use the 10 foot 3 legger and leave the 8 foot 4 legger in my garage to clean out the gutters.

                    Don...

                    Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>
                    Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                    06/05/2007 09:33 PM

                    Please respond to
                    delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                    delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                    cc
                    Subject
                    Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Ladder

                    kentblackwell wrote:

                    > They're the sping-loaded wheel kit made for specific Werner ladders.
                    > I bought my 8' dual-step Werner from Lowes. I called Werner to buy
                    > the spring loaded casters, but I only put casters on the two rear
                    > legs of the ladder. The wheels are small diameter but they roll just
                    > fine in the dirt and grass.
                    >
                    > Email me offline and I'll elaborate. For some reason Yahoo Groups
                    > doesn't allow posting email address but C.J. Wood, Don Surles and
                    > others have my email address.
                    >
                    > Kent Blackwell
                    >
                    > --- In
                    delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Milligan"
                    > <milligan@...> wrote:
                    >> Kent,
                    >>
                    >> I was thinking the same thing, and was considering a solution
                    like
                    >> yours. Are these the casters or big rubber wheels? How do they
                    > roll
                    >> over field terrain?
                    >>
                    >> --- In
                    delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@>
                    >> wrote:
                    >>> Personally, I find those Orchid ladders heavy and awkward
                    to move
                    >>> about such a large telescope. I prefer a Werner extra-heavy
                    duty
                    > 8'
                    >>> double step ladder. It's rock stable, and I feel very comfortable
                    >>> atop it. I ordered wheels from Werner and installed them myself.
                    >>> also added extra steps. You guys ever seen me scoot up that
                    thing?

                    >>> Kent Blackwell
                    >>>
                    >>> --- In
                    delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@>