Antares, "The Best I've Ever Seen It"

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      I saw the companion to Antares better than I've ever seen it this
      past Friday evening. Our seeing was 10+. Observers Stan Hubbard and
      Mark Ost each confirmed the pretty little green companion to the
      brilliant gold primary. Using my 100mm f/8 APO refactor I first
      pushed the power to 290x, using a wonderful 40-year old Gailand 7mm
      Orthoscopic eyepiece and a current 2.5X Tele Vue Powermate Barlow.
      That Gailand beats every eyepiece I own for sharpness; I only wish
      they had of made higher power oculars.

      After we all confirmed splitting the pair, I substituded the 2.5X
      Barlow for a 5x, producing a whopping 600x. You could drive a car
      through the pair of stars. Although the star images were boated at
      that high power it was amazingly acceptable, considering I was
      pushing the power to 150x per inch!

      The last view of the night was watching Ganymede's shadow transit on
      Jupiter, then seeing both the shadow and the Ganymede's ingress. I
      had to quit before egress but as I drove home all I could think about
      was how beautiful Antares and its companion looked that night. I'm
      excited!!

      Kent Blackwell