Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Help! FOV problem!

  • Steven Long
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2007
      Charles Wood Jr.(CJ) wrote:

      > Ron, I tried multiple eyepieces and it was there on every one. No, it
      > doesn't rotate with the eyepiece either as I've tried that. I just
      > cleaned the objective and diagonal mirror, I didn't take anything out
      > (you can't anyway, it's an ETX-70). Your saying "mirrors", it's a
      > refractor so it only has the one diagonal mirror. I'm really bummed out
      > over this.

      At the risk of asking a really stupid question: Is the visible obstruction
      still there after the new dew shield is removed? I had an aftermarket dew
      shield on my C-8 that was long enough to obstruct my FOV if it got misaligned.

      Steve
    • Bob Bunge
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2007
        I'd check to make sure a baffle inside the tube hasn't slipped and
        rotated to block the light path. I've seen before in refractors.

        Bob

        robischr@... wrote:
        > I must be mixing up the ETX-70 with the ETX-90 which I thought was Meade's
        > compact little SCT.
        >
        > Hmmm. Definitely not the dew cap either?
        >

        > Quoting "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>:
        >

        >> Ron, I tried multiple eyepieces and it was there on every one. No,
        >> it
        >> doesn't rotate with the eyepiece either as I've tried that. I just
        >> cleaned the objective and diagonal mirror, I didn't take anything out
        >> (you can't anyway, it's an ETX-70). Your saying "mirrors", it's a
        >> refractor so it only has the one diagonal mirror. I'm really bummed
        >> out
        >> over this.
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2007
          I've found the problem. It was indeed the diagonal flip mirror. Now it
          doesn't flip all the way back as it's supposed to. If I turn the screw
          thing all the way back, It's gone and the image is great. If I let go,
          It flips up a tad and starts obstructing the view. The thing is, Now I
          can't get the diagonal to flip back all the way. It'll go, but go right
          back. ARG! The ETX never gave me a problem until now. Why is it being
          so retarded? Any way on fixing this?