Friday, June 7 2002 @Tuckahoe

  • ralphiej@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2002

      A gathering of folks from the DAS Group including Dave,Tom, Bill Hannagan and his nephew Ryan met up with Doug Norton, Lyle, Steve and some other nice folks  from the Del MarvaGroup for a great night of observing and (hopefully) SLR imaging. Although we had  a bit of a battle with mosquitos and dew; the clear dark skies made for some fantastic globular cluster andgalaxy view.  It cooled to around 55  0r so in the course of the evening.    Nice views of M51, although I couldn’t really distinguish actual pinwheel arms, I could clearly see the dusty areas around the bright cores.  Took some ASA 400 piggy back photo’s of Jupiter and Venus at twilight in the Western Sky, M81 deepfield, M80 , as well as some guiding attempts in prime focus of M13. M13 and M 92 were spectacular gems under the dark skies of Tuckahoe and I  never tire of looking at them.

      Steve and Doug shared some of their spectacular Nagler and Pentax Eyepieces for views of M5 and M12. I had some nice vies of the Swan Nebulae and the Ring Nebula ,  As the Milky way rose I was just able to see a portion of the Veil Nebula in Cygnus as well as the North American Nebula.Nice views of M 107 in Ophicus and of course M92 in Hercules.  Also had a great view of  M6 the butterfly cluster as well as M65 andM66 in Leo before it set in the West. As I didn’t have any specific program and spent more time chatting my observations were less systematic but fun.
      Ralph Dominica