Tuckahoe for Feb 28th...

  • Douglas A. Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Joe Wojtecki and myself had a great observing session at Tuckahoe last
      night. The clouds looked like they might possibly give us some problems but I
      decided to go anyway. And I'm glad I did. The sky was crystal clear and even
      with the moon being 24% illuminated it was still a great night for hunting
      down faint galaxies. I arrived around 7:30 and started hunting down the
      brighter planetary nebulae. I started with NGC1440 in Puppis. It looked
      spectacular with the 20 Nagler. And as the power was increased, more and more
      detail was visible. Then I moved over to NGC 1535 in Eridanus and it too held
      up well to high power. And we both looked at the Eskimo nebula. It was
      standing out beautifully. Then I moved over to M67 in Cancer and it filled
      the field of the 20 Nagler and there were lots of stars. Then Joe showed me a
      companion , NGC1907, next to M38 in Auriga. It looked great in his scope. He
      was using a focal reducer and had a nice wide field going. So I wanted to see
      if I could find it in mine and I was actually on it but I somehow thought it
      was M38! I had too much power on it so Joe let me use his 35 Panoptic and
      then both clusters were in view with M38 still partly out of the field. I
      felt a lot better because I was thinking that M38 looked pretty dim! Well now
      it was galaxy time. We hit the usuals like M81 and 82, M51, which looked
      spectacular, and the trio M65, M66 and NGC3628 all in the same field. They
      were looking good! Then I pointed out the NGC 3190 group of four galaxies in
      Leo. This contains NGC 3190, 3193, 3185 and 3187. It's tough to find 3187
      with my scope but once we looked at it through Joe's 11-inch, all four were
      easily visible. What a sight! The new galaxies I found were NGC 3184, NGC
      2683, NGC 2903 and NGC3344. All were easy and bright. And then I looked over
      at M3 in Bo├Âtes and even though it was still low on the horizon, I was
      resolving some stars. Then we both packed it up around 10:30. It was very
      tough to leave because the sky was still amazing as we left. But we both had
      to work! Well hopefully we'll have clear skies again soon and I can hunt down
      more double stars. Until next time, have a good one...

      Doug Norton
      OIS/Customer Services
      Phone: 302.739.9524
      E-Mail: DNorton@...