Re: [delmarvastargazers] Spruce Knob

  • Joe Morris
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 25, 2002
      Terri, Lyle and others -- I will be going to Spruce Knob nearly every new
      moon period this coming year. I'd be glad to have any Delmarva Stargazers
      join me and we can avoid the Gatewood mess and stay at The Mountain
      Institute nearby. Camping is OK there (no charge). I assume most of you
      can't go as often as I do and would suggest picking a date in July or August
      (no mosquitoes and cooler in WV) for a group of us to go.

      > All,
      >
      > Lately, there has been a flurry of e-mails concerning Spruce Knob.
      > Apparently, one of the park offices (it's too early in the day for me to
      > remember which one) has leased the Gatewood site to a
      > conceaire(sp?)/custodian/whatever? This person is supposed to maintain
      > the site. This person also has the right to charge for people staying
      > at the site. They have also reduced the number of sites (down to 3),
      > but do not worry you can have up to 40 people at each site. Spruce Knob
      > has been in touch with this person and has come up with the idea that
      > they could just rent the site around each new moon. Most members have
      > already said they would be will to contribute to a fund. In determining
      > what was going on, a member talked to one of the park managers (she has
      > a better title than that, but again it's early.) She suggested that
      > perhaps they could find something for our purposes. The people managing
      > the Spruce Knob mailing list are asking that people answer the following
      > survey. Since I wasn't sure how many people were seeing this from our
      > group, I wanted to forward it to you all so that you could vote to. Any
      > questions, send em. I'll try and be more coherent tonight.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Teri Young
    • Teresa Young
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 25, 2002
        Lyle,

        Here is Ed Karch's address - subscriber@...

        I just wanted to let everyone know what was going on.

        Teri
      • Bob Bunge
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 10, 2002
          Weather doesn't look too good at the moment. The models are even
          disagreeing about tomorrow night. Sigh. I'll continue to watch for
          perhaps Saturday night, but otherwise, looks the old T-hoe!

          Bob Bunge
        • Joe Morris
          Message 4 of 30 , May 9, 2003
            As most of you know, last July, about a dozen of us attended a
            mini-starparty at The Mountain Institute near Spruce Knob, WV. With an
            altitude of 4100 ft. and great dark skies the observing conditions were
            superb (not to mention the lack of mosquitoes and ticks). TMI has invited
            us back and I've also sent word out to the Pittsburg astronomy club (they
            put on Laurel Highlands), the Charleston, WV club (they put on Blackwater
            star party), and the Northern Virginia club. The dates are May 29th - June
            1st. Here's the scoop on the plans.

            The camping fees will be $7/night. One may camp by their telescope. Dorm
            rooms are $16/night and are about 1/2 mile from the camping area. The
            bathhouse and dining room are near the dorms. Campers will have
            porti-potties or may walk to the bathhouse. There are male and female
            buildings each with about 4 rooms with two double bunk beds each. They
            provide the linen but to be on the safe side, I'd recommend those interested
            in the dorms should bring sleeping bags and towels. If a couple wants a
            dorm room to themselves and if there is room, we'll try to make these
            arrangements. There is no power at the camping area but there is near the
            dorms, so one could recharge batteries during the day if they bring a
            charger. They plan to offer a dinner one night, probably Saturday, for $16.
            They won't serve any other meals this year. If possible, I'd like all those
            planning to attend to email me so I can get some idea of how many are
            planning to come.

            Here are the driving directions from Harrisonburg, VA. Which I get to via
            the Wasthington Beltway, I 66 west to I 81, I81 south to Harrisonburg and
            Rt. 33 west to Judy Gap, WV. From the intersection of Rt. 33 and Rt. 28 at
            Judy Gap, drive 8.5 miles South on Rt. 28 and turn right onto Saw Mill Rd.
            (CR 28-10) and go to a "T" intersection (2.5 miles). Turn left and continue
            on Sawmill Rd for 3.5 more miles. Turn right into the Mt. Institute and
            take the fork to the left towards "High Camp". Drive about one mile and
            where the road takes a hard right, leave the graveled road onto a dirt road
            through a wooden gate (close it behind yourself). Drive to the top of the
            hill to the camping area (about 1/4 mile). If one continued on the gravel
            road where it takes a hard right, you would wind up at the dorms (about 1/4
            mile).
          • Tim Milligan
            Message 5 of 30 , May 9, 2003
              COUNT ME IN!!!  Whoa!  Dark Skies!

              I'll camp near my scope and do the dinner.

              Tim
              ____________________________

              Tim Milligan
              Senior Programmer/Analyst
              Archive Management Group
              Commercial Products
              Integral Systems Inc.

              milligan@...
              301-731-4233 x1266

              Message 6 of 30 , May 10, 2003
                Joe
                Thanks for coordinating this again. I am anticipating coming
                (assuming we don't see the kind of thunderstorm activity we
                experienced last year!). I will be tent camping and will likely
                partake in the Saturday dinner as well.
                Looking forward to it!
                Ralph Dominica

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Morris"

              • Dave Wells
                Message 7 of 30 , May 10, 2003
                  Joe,

                  I was planning on attending the NOVAC All Year Star Party at the
                  Gatewood Campground at Spruce Knob that weekend; but being a
                  Delmarvastargazer I will come to the Mountain Institute site instead.

                  I will tent camp and attend the dinner.

                  Thanks for arranging this. Looking forward to seeing you there.

                  Dave
                • Joe Morris
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 10, 2003
                    OK, Ralph, I'll sign you up. I can still picture you in the poncho, in the
                    rain, cooking.

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 10, 2003
                      OK, Dave. I think you'll like TMI better than Gatewood anyhow.

                      I was planning on attending the NOVAC All Year Star Party at the
                      Gatewood Campground at Spruce Knob that weekend; but being a
                      Delmarvastargazer I will come to the Mountain Institute site instead.

                      I will tent camp and attend the dinner.

                      Thanks for arranging this. Looking forward to seeing you there.

                      Dave
                    • Jones Lyle A. (DNREC)
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 4, 2003

                        Joe --when is the camp at TMI and do you still need us? Did you get any viewing in last weekend? It was terrible here as usual.  Lyle

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 4, 2003

                          Lyle – The camp is June 22 – 28th.  The weather was only OK for a few hours Fri night and the last half of the night Sunday.

                          Here’s a copy of the schedule for the week.   I sent you a CC but it must not have made it to you.  Yes, I hope you a Cheri can make it.

                          Sunday - Check in 8 AM - 3 PM.  At 3 PM we'll have orientation in the conference room with Mike & me.  After dinner we'll inspect the various telescopes that the campers will use during the week nighttime viewing.  At dark till 1 AM we'll have the telescopes set up on Back Ridge, each with an advanced amateur astronomer to assist the campers.

                          Monday - Wed schedule will be similar.  After a 9 AM breakfast, Mike will give a "classroom" presentation with the resident amateur astronomers as assistants.  Mike will probably be able to fill this in some but topics will include our solar system, life and death of stars, understanding the starry sky, light & telescopes, galaxies, comets and meteors and meteorites, constellations, the sun, and cosmology including the big bang and black holes.  We will have a planetarium that will accommodate all the campers to help them understand the night sky. Daytime viewing of our closest star, the Sun will add extra fun.   Each afternoon, the TMI staff will guide the campers in the outdoor activities that normally happen like hiking, canoeing, and caving.  You should probably check with Matt on this.  After dinner, Mike will continue the classroom discussions.  At dark, weather permitting, we will continue with the viewing on Back Ridge with the amateur astronomers and their telescopes.  One nighttime activity will include charting a moving object such as a planet or asteroid by drawings.  By viewing a certain area of the sky over several nights, the camper will be able to chart the movement of one of the "stars" which of course is really a planet or asteroid.

                          Thursday we'll head for the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Greenbank for an all day tour.  That evening and night the campers will be given an opportunity to operate one of the older radio telescopes under the supervision of a staff member of the NRAO.

                          Friday after breakfast, we'll provide material such as internet addresses, computer programs, suggested reading material, telescope making ideas and plans, and other self help ideas so the camper can continue his new learned skills at home.  Recommendations for buying telescopes, binoculars, computer programs and other aids will be given.  The outdoor activities will continue during the afternoon and viewing will occur at dark on Back Ridge.

                          Check out will be Saturday morning and afternoon.

                          By the end of the week, I'd expect the campers to have a solid grasp of the nighttime sky and the normal movement of the stars and solar system objects.  They will be able to individually operate a telescope and find celestial objects.  They will have a better understanding of the magnitude of our known universe and of stellar evolution.  We hope to kindle an interest in telescope making.  We will provide them with enough reference material, including Internet sources, to continue an astronomy hobby if they so desire.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 17, 2004
                            There are actually two places that people know as
                            "Spruce Knob" One is near top of the mountain and is
                            run by the NOVAC people. Their site is called
                            "Gatewood." The other is located a little further
                            down and is a site operated by The Mountain Institute.
                            They have a website at:

                            http://www.mountain.org/skmc/index.html

                            The Delmarva Stargazers go to that location because
                            there are dorms available to sleep in. Meals can also
                            be purchased there. Joe Morris does outreach programs
                            at that location and he is also a member of the
                            Delmarva Stargazers.

                            James

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • f_varisco
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 18, 2004
                              James, are you saying that there is a site to set up there? How does
                              one make arrangements to go up there?

                              I am also a member of NOVAC, but I like the idea of not having to
                              haul a bunch of camping equipment (and water) to Gatewood.

                              Frank

                              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "James T. Morgan"
                              <morganjt56@y...> wrote:
                              > There are actually two places that people know as
                              > "Spruce Knob" One is near top of the mountain and is
                              > run by the NOVAC people. Their site is called
                              > "Gatewood." The other is located a little further
                              > down and is a site operated by The Mountain Institute.
                              > They have a website at:
                              >
                              > http://www.mountain.org/skmc/index.html
                              >
                              > The Delmarva Stargazers go to that location because
                              > there are dorms available to sleep in. Meals can also
                              > be purchased there. Joe Morris does outreach programs
                              > at that location and he is also a member of the
                              > Delmarva Stargazers.
                              >
                              > James

                              > http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Joe Morris
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 9 5:27 PM
                                I'll be leaving for TMI tomorrow night (and be out of email contact)
                                after dinner and just wanted to summarize the responses that I feel
                                are confirmed by now. TMI notified me they have hired someone to
                                have meals for us Thur and Fri. They were already going to have meals
                                for another group on Sat. and Sun. and we're invited to join in.
                                Please let me know if my records are correct. I don't need exact
                                details but let me know if I'm in the ball park.

                                Arriving Wed.-- Pj, Dave W., Leonard, Teri. Arriving Thurs-- Randall,
                                Carol, Martha. Arriving Fri-- Lyle, Jim A., Carlos, Ivonne. I have
                                pretty good info on who's camping and who wants dorm rooms so don't
                                worry about that. I think we have meals worked out (wouldn't hurt to
                                bring some peanut butter, jam and bread).

                                I'm really looking forward to having everyone share the beautifully dark
                                skies and remember there are plenty of side trips (hiking, sightseeing,
                                caving, fossil hunting, rock climbing, wildflower hunting, fishing, etc.)
                                to keep everyone busy. Remember it's much cooler there especially at
                                night (no mosquitoes). I usually wear long pants, sweatshirt, sock hat,
                                and sometimes, jacket and/or jumpsuit even in July and August depending
                                on the weather pattern. Dew is sometimes heavy as the entire east coast
                                is at night.
                              • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 11, 2005
                                  I heard about a place called Spruce Knob that has a cool camp. I also
                                  heard about you guys going there sometimes and the nice dark skies. So
                                  I went to look it up, got some pics and I was like "Holy!!....cow?!?"
                                  The milky way is just like cherry springs, beautiful, colorful...and
                                  bright. When you guys going there again? So my family can plan ahead.
                                  I'm also still looking for an OIII filter if anyone has 1 to sell for
                                  1.25 scopes. Clear Skies!
                                • rodney owens
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 11, 2005
                                    Hi Charles,
                                    Did you go up to Spruce Knob/The Mountain Institute? This time of year it is stone cold. For me in Glen Burnie, MD it’s a 4+ hour drive. I thought I heard that the Almost Heaven Star Party @ Spruce Knob was being moved to early spring for 2006, but you might want to email them and ask. There were a few OIII's on Astromart earlier today.
                                    Clear skies, Rodney
                                    I heard about a place called Spruce Knob that has a cool camp. I also
                                    heard about you guys going there sometimes and the nice dark skies. So
                                    I went to look it up, got some pics and I was like "Holy!!....cow?!?"
                                    The milky way is just like cherry springs, beautiful, colorful...and
                                    bright. When you guys going there again? So my family can plan ahead.
                                    I'm also still looking for an OIII filter if anyone has 1 to sell for
                                    1.25 scopes. Clear Skies!

                                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/2.XolB/TM

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • Jim Rosenstock
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005
                                      Charles,

                                      Actually, there are TWO Spruce Knob options. The Northern VA
                                      Astronomy Club (NOVAC) makes arrangements with The Mountain Institute
                                      at Spruce Knob...they have a "civilized" facility with a limited
                                      number of bunks, plus pay-for meal service (if you want). NOVAC
                                      provides a few bunk spaces free to members, first-come first-served.
                                      Others (non-members and late-comers) can pay a small fee for bunks, or
                                      camp on the observing field.

                                      There's also the Gatewood campground. It has more primitive campsites-
                                      -you pack in everything, including water, that you'll need. There is
                                      a well-maintained privy-type toilet. Use of the Gatewood facility is
                                      FREE, paid for by donations. It is a gated facility (~1 mile drive
                                      after the locked gate) so you need to get the gate combo before
                                      heading out. Check out the "Spruce Knob" Yahoo group for more.
                                      Here's the 2006 schedule:

                                      April 27, 28 & 29
                                      May 26, 27 (The 28th was not available)
                                      June 22, 23 & 24
                                      July 27, 28 & 29
                                      August 24, 25 & 26
                                      September 21, 22 & 23
                                      October 19, 20 (The 21st was not available)

                                      Spruce Knob is the highest place in West Virginia, and it's generally
                                      cold and often snowed-in, November thru March. But the observing
                                      there is AWESOME....when the weather cooperates!

                                      Hope to see you out there this year!

                                      Jim

                                      p.s. As far as O-III filters go, I'd advise you to wait until you
                                      have a larger scope and 2" eyepieces. The Veil needs lots of aperture
                                      and low power to show well...and an O-III with a smaller scope will
                                      give fairly dim images anyway. Better for 1.25" and a small scope
                                      would be a "UHC" type filter, that lets through the O-III wavelength
                                      as well as a couple of others. Orion's is called "Ultrablock",
                                      Lumicons's is UHC, and other brands produce similar...

                                      Clear skies,

                                      Jim
                                    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005
                                        Jim, I can see the veil clearly with my 4.5 inch. I never seen it yet
                                        with the 14 inch that I'm picking up on wednesday hopefully. Thats why
                                        I would like one for that, it's 1.25
                                      • Jim Rosenstock
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005
                                          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"
                                          <hotmid6@h...> wrote:

                                          > Jim, I can see the veil clearly with my 4.5 inch. I never seen it yet
                                          > with the 14 inch that I'm picking up on wednesday hopefully. Thats
                                          why
                                          > I would like one for that, it's 1.25

                                          Damn, you sharp-eyed young punks make me sick! We old farts have to
                                          double our aperture, just to keep up!

                                          You're picking up a 14-inch, with a 1.25" focuser?? Really?? Seems
                                          like the first order of business would be to get a 2" focuser
                                          installed, so you can use all the photons that light bucket picks up on
                                          low power views...

                                          The Veil in a big scope from a dark site is an amazing object indeed...

                                          Keep us posted....

                                          Jim
                                        • Joshua Zimmerman
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005
                                            on the subject of Spruce Knob again - wow! That was a beautiful sight! I'll never forgot - We were up there in late summer 2001 with Lyle, Jim Acker and crew - Clouds came in, I went to bed disappointed and then I got up to use the bathroom. WOW! -I've never seen anything like it. The term, "midnight blue" best describes it. Absolutely stunning. I would love to go back.

                                            josh

                                            From: Joshua Zimmerman <wireshock@...>
                                            Date: Mon Dec 12 19:32:47 CST 2005
                                            To: Jim Rosenstock <jrosenstock@...>,
                                            delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                            Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Spruce Knob

                                            From: Jim Rosenstock <jrosenstock@...>
                                            Date: Mon Dec 12 19:32:47 CST 2005
                                            To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                                            <hotmid6@h...> wrote:

                                            > Jim, I can see the veil clearly with my 4.5 inch. I never seen it yet
                                            > with the 14 inch that I'm picking up on wednesday hopefully. Thats
                                            why
                                            > I would like one for that, it's 1.25

                                            Damn, you sharp-eyed young punks make me sick!? We old farts have to
                                            double our aperture, just to keep up!

                                            You're picking up a 14-inch, with a 1.25" focuser??? Really??? Seems
                                            like the first order of business would be to get a 2" focuser
                                            installed, so you can use all the photons that light bucket picks up on
                                            low power views...

                                            The Veil in a big scope from a dark site is an amazing object indeed...

                                            Keep us posted....

                                            Jim

                                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                            ?Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/delmarvastargazers">delmarvastargazers</a>" on the web.
                                            ? ?To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                            ? ?Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                                          • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 13, 2005
                                              Good news to me, I'm going to Snowshoe Mountain in Janurary. Which is
                                              not far at all from Spruce Knob. Maybe I should bring my 4.5 inch if
                                              you know what I mean hehe
                                            • Marc Hutton
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 13, 2005

                                                Charles-

                                                I am a native West Virginian and basically grew up in that area.  Spruce Knob is still going to be about 45 min to an hour (if it is clear) drive away from where you are going to be and that is on what can be pretty tough winding roads if you are not familiar with the area. (Especially so if there is snow) You actually do not have to go too far from Snowshoe to get some pretty nice skies though, just off Snowshoe Mountain.  You will be pretty close to Green Bank which is also a pretty nice dark sky site.  It is just on the other side of the mountain from Snowshoe.  But even that trip will be a bit hairy if there is snow on the roads, trust me I have done it many, many times.  Any how, if there is any snow at all, and you are going to be hoping there is, you are not going to want to try to go up Spruce Knob and more than likely it will closed off.

                                                Marc Hutton

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 13, 2005
                                                    So it'll be better going to Green Banks? Can you see color in the
                                                    milky way or is it white puffs?
                                                  • huttonm@comcast.net
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 14, 2005
                                                      The problem that you have in that neck of the woods is that you have to find some unobstructedd land.  You have only two choices, the valleys or the tops of the mountains.  Green Bank is nice since it is bottom land and a relatively large swatch of it, but like all of the bottom land around there, that is where the people live.  It is where the National Radio observatory is as well.  You are going to have very limited horizons. Getting back on the top of mountainss during that time of the year is just not that easy of a thing to do unless you have the equipment, and you know the area.  Any way they close off most of the roads that go back into the public access areas during the winter.

                                                      They skies are very nice there, when it is clear,  but I don't think that I have every seen any color in the Milky way.
                                                      From: "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 14, 2005
                                                        Charles,

                                                        There are three good (spring - summer!) star parties in the Spruce Knob
                                                        area. These are excellent ways to get to these great sites and not have
                                                        to worry about some of the details;

                                                        Greenbank Starquest: http://www.greenbankstarquest.org/
                                                        On the site of the Radio Observatory, great facilities, but don't bring
                                                        your bluetooth equiped telescope!

                                                        Year Long Star Party at Spruce Knob: http://www.novac.com/spruce/
                                                        On the mountain at a camp site. Good shelter from the wind, somewhat
                                                        limited horizons. Camp ground is reserved most new moon weekends
                                                        spring-fall.

                                                        Almost Heaven Star Party: http://www.novac.com/ahsp/
                                                        At the Mountain Institute - I think they are talking about a spring time
                                                        date this year. Showers, better horizon, but perhaps a little less
                                                        protection from the wind.

                                                        Bob

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 14, 2005
                                                          Cool, thanks bob!