Re: [delmarvastargazers] exo-planet

  • twforte@cox.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2006
      Right. But they can say what they want about it with full confidence that no one is going to prove them wrong anytime soon. (Sounds like just a wild-ass guess to me.)

      Ted Forte

      ---- Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-1@...> wrote:
      > Here is a link to a story about an exo-planet that is ice cold on one side
      > and volcano-hot on the other side.
      >

      > http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061012/sc_space/distantplanetishalffirehalfice
      >
      > I have a question:
      >
      > It is my understanding we have never had a "real" picture of a planet
      > outside our solar system because we cannot "split" the planet from the
      > star. All exo-planet discoveries are based on light curves of the parent
      > star.
      >
      > So, if we cannot image a planet orbiting a star outside our solar system
      > how in the #@$& can we tell if one side is hotter than the other?
      >
      > Can someone help me learn how this temperature differential detection is
      > possible?
      >
      > Don...
      >
      > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains
      > information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
      > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
      > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail,
      > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by
      > return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly
      > and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does
      > not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance
      > of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the
      > use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for
      > transfers of data to third parties.
      >
      > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean
      >
      > http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html
    • Steven Long
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2006
        Don R Surles wrote:

        > I have a question:
        >
        > It is my understanding we have never had a "real" picture of a planet
        > outside our solar system because we cannot "split" the planet from the
        > star. All exo-planet discoveries are based on light curves of the
        > parent star.
        >
        > So, if we cannot image a planet orbiting a star outside our solar system
        > how in the #@$& can we tell if one side is hotter than the other?
        >
        > Can someone help me learn how this temperature differential detection is
        > possible?
        >
        > Don...

        Averted vision? That's what everyone at Tuckahoe always told me when their
        eyes could see things that mine couldn't ... :-)

        Actually, I'm guessing that something in the infrared emissions curve that
        repeats corresponding to the orbital cycle of the exo-planet shows scientists
        that the large planetary body has a hot side and a cool side. They know what
        the light curve would look like given a body of similar size and uniform
        temperature. This curve varies from the norm enough that the rotational
        characteristics can be hypothesized.

        I wonder how a tidally-locked gas planet wouldn't transfer heat from its hot
        side to the cold side? There ought to be screaming ground-level winds
        everywhere along the terminator, uniformly blowing towards the sun as cold gas
        rushes in to replace the atmosphere heated to volcanic temperatures; and
        equally speedy upper-altitude jet streams blowing towards the dark side.

        Maybe, given the size of the gas planet and the proximity to its primary, the
        gas atmosphere itself is tidally locked with the star, so that most of it
        never gets the chance to flow towards the back of the planet, and stays hot ...
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2006
          since the planet is tidally locked to the star why would the west edge be a diff temp than the east...think of our moon...why would one edge of the full moon be a diff temp than the other?

          i continue to believe...to dismiss...a lot of this exo-planet "stuff" as just that - stuff.  I want to see a picture of one of them w/o Photoshop or "artist's rendition" assistance.

          keep it simple...a Sears Craftsman retractable tape to measure it and Kodak film to capture the image would convince me.  Inferences based on light curves will not convince this jury.

          Don...

          Steven Long <longsteven@...>
          Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

          10/13/2006 08:00 PM

          Please respond to
          delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

          delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Subject

          Don R Surles wrote:

          > I have a question:
          >
          > It is my understanding we have never had a "real" picture
           of a planet
          > outside our solar system because we cannot "split" the planet
          from the
          > star.   All exo-planet discoveries are based on light curves
          of the
          > parent star.
          >
          > So, if we cannot image a planet orbiting a star outside our solar
          system
          > how in the #@$& can we tell if one side is hotter than the other?
          >
          > Can someone help me learn how this temperature differential detection
          is
          > possible?
          >
          > Don...

          Averted vision?  That's what everyone at Tuckahoe always told me when their
          eyes could see things that mine couldn't ...   :-)

          Actually, I'm guessing that something in the infrared emissions curve that
          repeats corresponding to the orbital cycle of the exo-planet shows scientists
          that the large planetary body has a hot side and a cool side.  They know what
          the light curve would look like given a body of similar size and uniform
          temperature.  This curve varies from the norm enough that the rotational
          characteristics can be hypothesized.

          I wonder how a tidally-locked gas planet wouldn't transfer heat from its hot
          side to the cold side?  There ought to be screaming ground-level winds
          everywhere along the terminator, uniformly blowing towards the sun as cold gas
          rushes in to replace the atmosphere heated to volcanic temperatures; and
          equally speedy upper-altitude jet streams blowing towards the dark side.

          Maybe, given the size of the gas planet and the proximity to its primary, the
          gas atmosphere itself is tidally locked with the star, so that most of it
          never gets the chance to flow towards the back of the planet, and stays hot ...

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             mailto:delmarvastargazers-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:delmarvastargazers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          transfers of data to third parties.

        • Sam Lozen
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2006
            See! I was paying attention at the last info sharing at the Smyrna Monthly meeting.   Noticed this when I was taking family portraits at the beach.  It was a cold windy day, and the sky partly froze and fell out.  (please see attachment)
            Sam

            Steven Long <longsteven@comcast. net>

               http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/delmarvast argazers/

               http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/delmarvast argazers/ join