Verizon and Fios

  • James T. Morgan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      My friend who had a Verizon email account on their
      current DSL over copper was offered the chance to
      upgrade to Fiber Optic which is called "Fios" by
      Verizon. What a disaster!

      I have been involved with getting Verizon to repair
      the copper cable that serves my development for three
      months now. I had to take them before the Delaware
      Public Service Commission three times to finally get
      them to take action. The cable had been damaged in
      November of last year. Well last week they held a PSC
      hearing in Glasgow, Delaware on allowing Verizon to
      have a franchise to provide cable television services.
      I appeared at the hearing and met the president of
      Verizon and he was disturbed by what I brought and
      what I showed at the hearing. His pitch was that his
      company had the technical know how to provide this as
      a reliable service. He sat across from me the entire
      evening and I displayed pictures of the cable showing
      a "garbage bag" hanging from the cable exposing it to
      the elements.

      Well after 34 days of Fios service my friend had his
      existing email account which he had for more than a
      year deleted by Verizon and a new one put in its
      place.
      Their explanation was that they did not mark his
      account properly as an "existing" one and instead
      marked it as a "new" account. He was told that
      nothing could be done to bring back his old account.

      After he told me I wrote a letter to the President of
      Verizon and asked him where that technical expertise
      had gone too? To his credit he did get his people
      working on it and there is a chance that the account
      will be restored. My friend had been told that they
      had no record of his account. He mailed them some
      bills that he had paid and they realized they made a
      blunder.

      My friend is taking this up with the PSC.

      Oh by the way those in the unincorporated areas of
      Delaware may have to wait a while before they are
      offered "Fios" The build out could take as long as
      five years in some areas.

      Just thought I would share this with all of you as we
      depend very much on the internet and email for our
      hobby.

      James

      http://mail.yahoo.com