Re: Question on Jerry Truitt's Mirror Cleaning Article

  • Jim Rosenstock
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "gregnott2000"
      <gnpnotti@...> wrote:

      > I read Jerry's article in the August Stargazer. I have two questions:
      >
      > 1) I assume that regular drug store cotton balls are not
      sufficient. Where can one
      > purchase surgical cotton balls.
      >
      > 2) Instead of using denatured alcohol, is Grain Alcohol an
      acceptable substitute?

      > Thanks,
      > Greg

      1. Sterile cotton balls should be fine. You CAN get them at the
      drugstore. BEWARE, though some "cotton" balls, sold for cosmetics
      purposes, are not cotton--they are a sythetic fiber. Avoid. (Same
      with "Q-tips"....not all swabs are true cotton-tipped. Best to stick
      with the brand name, not Brand X....)

      2. If your grain alcohol (Everclear??) is 100% distilled grain neutral
      spirits, I expect so. With ethyl alcohol (the stuff in booze), you
      either have to buy it in a liquor store and pay tax on it, or accept
      a "denatured" product (trace amounts of a bitter, vomitous substance
      added to make it impossible to drink). Many folks use 90% reagent
      grade isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl. The thing to be careful
      about is that some brands of "rubbing" alcohol have oils or perfumes
      added--NOT good for mirrors!

      Clear skies,

      Jim
    • Gregory Nottingham
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
        Jim,
        Thanks for the response. The grain alcohol is Everclear, I just
        figured it would be pure vice having any additives.
        I guess this will be the first time I haven't mixed it with Kool Aid.

        Greg
        On Aug 12, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Jim Rosenstock wrote:

        > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "gregnott2000"
        > <gnpnotti@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I read Jerry's article in the August Stargazer. I have two
        > questions:
        > >
        > > 1) I assume that regular drug store cotton balls are not
        > sufficient. Where can one
        > > purchase surgical cotton balls.
        > >
        > > 2) Instead of using denatured alcohol, is Grain Alcohol an
        > acceptable substitute?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Greg
        > >

        > 1. Sterile cotton balls should be fine. You CAN get them at the
        > drugstore. BEWARE, though some "cotton" balls, sold for cosmetics
        > purposes, are not cotton--they are a sythetic fiber. Avoid. (Same
        > with "Q-tips"....not all swabs are true cotton-tipped. Best to stick
        > with the brand name, not Brand X....)
        >
        > 2. If your grain alcohol (Everclear??) is 100% distilled grain neutral
        > spirits, I expect so. With ethyl alcohol (the stuff in booze), you
        > either have to buy it in a liquor store and pay tax on it, or accept
        > a "denatured" product (trace amounts of a bitter, vomitous substance
        > added to make it impossible to drink). Many folks use 90% reagent
        > grade isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl. The thing to be careful
        > about is that some brands of "rubbing" alcohol have oils or perfumes
        > added--NOT good for mirrors!
        >
        > Clear skies,
        >
        > Jim

      • Bob Bunge
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
          As Jim suggests, I use 90 percent alcohol that I find at Safeway.
          Instead of cotton balls, I use huge wads of that really soft toilet
          paper. Sampling the paper is an option; if it feels right... :-)

          Bob

          > 1. Sterile cotton balls should be fine. You CAN get them at the
          > drugstore. BEWARE, though some "cotton" balls, sold for cosmetics
          > purposes, are not cotton--they are a sythetic fiber. Avoid. (Same
          > with "Q-tips"....not all swabs are true cotton-tipped. Best to stick
          > with the brand name, not Brand X....)
          >
          > 2. If your grain alcohol (Everclear??) is 100% distilled grain neutral
          > spirits, I expect so. With ethyl alcohol (the stuff in booze), you
          > either have to buy it in a liquor store and pay tax on it, or accept
          > a "denatured" product (trace amounts of a bitter, vomitous substance
          > added to make it impossible to drink). Many folks use 90% reagent
          > grade isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl. The thing to be careful
          > about is that some brands of "rubbing" alcohol have oils or perfumes
          > added--NOT good for mirrors!
          >
          > Clear skies,
          >
          > Jim
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jerry Truitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
            Thanks Jim and Bob for fielding the questions.
            The tools and materials vary from person to person.
            What is the number one thing it takes to successfully clean a lens
            or mirror?
            I would have to say its discipline.

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>