Question on Jerry Truitt's Mirror Cleaning Article

  • gregnott2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12 6:34 AM
      I read Jerry's article in the August Stargazer. I have two questions:

      1) I assume that regular drug store cotton balls are not sufficient. Where can one
      purchase surgical cotton balls.

      2) Instead of using denatured alcohol, is Grain Alcohol an acceptable substitute?

      Thanks,
      Greg
    • Jim Rosenstock
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12 7:47 AM
        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "gregnott2000"
        <gnpnotti@...> wrote:

        > I read Jerry's article in the August Stargazer. I have two questions:
        >
        > 1) I assume that regular drug store cotton balls are not
        sufficient. Where can one
        > purchase surgical cotton balls.
        >
        > 2) Instead of using denatured alcohol, is Grain Alcohol an
        acceptable substitute?

        > Thanks,
        > Greg

        1. Sterile cotton balls should be fine. You CAN get them at the
        drugstore. BEWARE, though some "cotton" balls, sold for cosmetics
        purposes, are not cotton--they are a sythetic fiber. Avoid. (Same
        with "Q-tips"....not all swabs are true cotton-tipped. Best to stick
        with the brand name, not Brand X....)

        2. If your grain alcohol (Everclear??) is 100% distilled grain neutral
        spirits, I expect so. With ethyl alcohol (the stuff in booze), you
        either have to buy it in a liquor store and pay tax on it, or accept
        a "denatured" product (trace amounts of a bitter, vomitous substance
        added to make it impossible to drink). Many folks use 90% reagent
        grade isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl. The thing to be careful
        about is that some brands of "rubbing" alcohol have oils or perfumes
        added--NOT good for mirrors!

        Clear skies,

        Jim
      • Gregory Nottingham
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12 8:33 AM
          Jim,
          Thanks for the response. The grain alcohol is Everclear, I just
          figured it would be pure vice having any additives.
          I guess this will be the first time I haven't mixed it with Kool Aid.

          Greg
          On Aug 12, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Jim Rosenstock wrote:

          > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "gregnott2000"
          > <gnpnotti@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I read Jerry's article in the August Stargazer. I have two
          > questions:
          > >
          > > 1) I assume that regular drug store cotton balls are not
          > sufficient. Where can one
          > > purchase surgical cotton balls.
          > >
          > > 2) Instead of using denatured alcohol, is Grain Alcohol an
          > acceptable substitute?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Greg
          > >

          > 1. Sterile cotton balls should be fine. You CAN get them at the
          > drugstore. BEWARE, though some "cotton" balls, sold for cosmetics
          > purposes, are not cotton--they are a sythetic fiber. Avoid. (Same
          > with "Q-tips"....not all swabs are true cotton-tipped. Best to stick
          > with the brand name, not Brand X....)
          >
          > 2. If your grain alcohol (Everclear??) is 100% distilled grain neutral
          > spirits, I expect so. With ethyl alcohol (the stuff in booze), you
          > either have to buy it in a liquor store and pay tax on it, or accept
          > a "denatured" product (trace amounts of a bitter, vomitous substance
          > added to make it impossible to drink). Many folks use 90% reagent
          > grade isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl. The thing to be careful
          > about is that some brands of "rubbing" alcohol have oils or perfumes
          > added--NOT good for mirrors!
          >
          > Clear skies,
          >
          > Jim

        • Bob Bunge
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12 8:39 AM
            As Jim suggests, I use 90 percent alcohol that I find at Safeway.
            Instead of cotton balls, I use huge wads of that really soft toilet
            paper. Sampling the paper is an option; if it feels right... :-)

            Bob

            > 1. Sterile cotton balls should be fine. You CAN get them at the
            > drugstore. BEWARE, though some "cotton" balls, sold for cosmetics
            > purposes, are not cotton--they are a sythetic fiber. Avoid. (Same
            > with "Q-tips"....not all swabs are true cotton-tipped. Best to stick
            > with the brand name, not Brand X....)
            >
            > 2. If your grain alcohol (Everclear??) is 100% distilled grain neutral
            > spirits, I expect so. With ethyl alcohol (the stuff in booze), you
            > either have to buy it in a liquor store and pay tax on it, or accept
            > a "denatured" product (trace amounts of a bitter, vomitous substance
            > added to make it impossible to drink). Many folks use 90% reagent
            > grade isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl. The thing to be careful
            > about is that some brands of "rubbing" alcohol have oils or perfumes
            > added--NOT good for mirrors!
            >
            > Clear skies,
            >
            > Jim
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jerry Truitt
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13 9:33 AM
              Thanks Jim and Bob for fielding the questions.
              The tools and materials vary from person to person.
              What is the number one thing it takes to successfully clean a lens
              or mirror?
              I would have to say its discipline.

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>