Anyone seen the comet yet?

  • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      There's a new comet in the sky. Located near the keystone. Last
      night I was at Martin's house. I was able to view it in my binos but
      failed to find it with the 4.5" that I brought. Here's some info on
      it

      The periodic comet 177P/2006 M3 (Barnard 2) was recently recovered
      after a span of well over a hundred years. It is currently visible
      in binoculars in the constellation of Hercules and is shining at a
      magnitude of 8.4 as it heads towards Draco. This comet has a large
      10' coma and is fairly diffuse due to its proximity to the Earth.

      A finder chart is posted at
      http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets/177P.gif

      For further information see these sites:

      http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0177P/2006.html

      http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/per01.htm#177P

      http://www.shopplaza.nl/astro/

      Dave Mitsky
    • Bob Bunge
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
        I haven't been looking at comets, but have had fun recently with
        variable stars.

        From my limiting magnitude 4.5 skies in Bowie, I can roll out my
        12-inch scope (http://ladyandtramp.com/ellie/) and in about 30 or
        minutes make an estimate of a variable. The nice thing is using the
        laptop on at the computer on my home wifi network, to point the
        telescope with Megastar, access the AAVSO charts, and enter the estimate
        on the AAVSO website right at the telescope.

        Results: A light curve chart of the semiregular pulsating variable red
        giant U Boo (Bootes):

        http://tinyurl.com/od6mc

        My three contributions are in red.

        Bob