Nu Scorpii

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2006
      Ted Forte and Dave Groski mentioned the multiple star Nu Scorpii.
      It's a fun double, and I'm glad Dave brought it to my attention
      again. I've only obseved it once and was unable to split the close
      components with a 10" f/5 Orion IntelliScope. Here's my notes:

      Observing Log Entries for Nu Sco

      Date: 2004 May 12 12:27a
      Observer: Kent Blackwell
      Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
      Instrument: 10" Orion IntelliScope
      Object Type: Single Star
      Apparent Position: RA. 16h12m14.2s Dec. -19°27'48" (Sco)
      Magnitude: 6.5
      Object Altitude: 30°
      Conditions: 8 Seeing
      8 Transparency

      A very colorful double star, which is actually a quadruple star. A &
      B are only 1.3" apart. I could not split these. I could split
      components C & D, separated 2.3".

      For some odd reason SkyTools calls this a single star.