Digital Camera Focusing in the newsletter

  • James T. Morgan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2006
      The nice article that Michael Lecuyer wrote in the
      last newsletter caused me to get out the box where I
      store things for my digital camera. Sure enough there
      was a cable that came with the camera that plugs right
      into the camera and provides NTSC (switchable to PAL
      if I ever get to Europe again) video output. One of
      the things I use in my outreach is a $19.00 12 volt BW
      TV so that some youngster can use an electronic
      eyepiece ($10.00 at a DMSG meeting) to show the Moon
      with a small dob. Usually at these gatherings there
      is a youngster that is filled with both questions and
      enthusiasm. I channel that into his or her help with
      the presentation.

      The cable is easily plugged into the jack on the Kodak
      Easyshare digital camera with the other end plugged
      right into the video input of the BW TV. After
      turning everything on the image of what the camera was
      seeing came up on the monitor. Pretty cool. Now I
      have used the camera with a scopetronics bracket to
      take photos of the Moon which was difficult as I
      really could not see if it was focused properly before
      pushing the button. The thing I like about this over
      the video camera is that I can vary the magnification
      because this is all done "afocal" (through an
      eyepiece).

      If it every clears up again I will get everything out
      and do some more using the little BW monitor. I will
      also experiment using a color monitor and also video
      taping what the camera is seeing.

      I am uploading some files to the photo section in an
      album named James T. Morgan. As you can see the first
      is not too well focused. The other two are better.
      These are just looking at the LCD screen and pushing
      the button to take the picture. The camera does not
      have a cable release so that is also a problem. I
      will experiment with the timer to see how that works
      with everything. I have some other photos that I
      processed in photo shop and when I find them will up
      load them.

      Thanks for the article Michael.

      James

      http://mail.yahoo.com