Reply to Peter Jernakoff....

  • strix@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 5:44 AM
      “Original Message:
      What kind of astrophotography do you perform with your refractor? I'm thinking
      about venturing into the CCD imaging game with a Televue 102 mm apo, a
      Losmandy mount (probably the GM-8) and a Starlight Xpress MX7C camera. I
      should be able to make the meeting this Tuesday (as a guest thinking of joining
      your organization) and I wouldn't mind an opinion from you (and others within
      the club) as to the feasibility of my hypothetical imaging system.

      Regards,

      Peter Jernakoff”

      I mostly do the major objects such as planets and the moon and the big bright deep sky stuff through the scope with a 35mm camera. The rest of the objects, such as comets, constellations and such, I use a straight piggybacked 35mm camera with my 4-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope as a guide scope. That Losmandy mount, Tele Vue scope and digital camera should be more than enough for super images. The point of contact for digital photography would be either Doug Miller or Keith Lohmeyer. Other people in the club also do digital imaging but I can’t think of any names right at the moment. They should be at the meeting as well. I have only dabbled with the digital imaging and have decided to put my resources towards eyepieces rather than digital cameras. But it won’t be too long before I get into the digital imaging as well. I think I’m done with collecting eyepieces because I have no room in my case for any more of them!

      I go through photographic phases. Right now I’m in my “down phase” where all I want to do is look. I feel the bug for photography getting ready to bite me once the summer constellations start to come up again. The last pictures I took were of the occultation of Saturn by the moon.

      But if you do get that setup, you will be able to do some really powerful photography. Well, hope to see you at the meeting.

      Doug Norton
      strix@...
      DNorton@...

      http://mail2web.com/ .