Mid-totality image

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7 11:35 AM
      Here's a rather long 1/20-sec exposure (remmber I was on a moving
      ship!) at ISO 400. Longer exposures don't show prominences but do
      reveal lovely coronal activity.

      http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/skent/Img_0734.jpg

      Kent Blackwell
    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7 12:18 PM
        Wow! That's the best one yet Kent! I'm actually going to use it for my
        wallpaper for my PSP(playstation portable)
      • kentblackwell
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7 2:03 PM
          You're certainly welcomed use the picture as wallpaper.

          I preach to everyone who has never photographed a solar eclipse before;
          no matter what exposure is chosen you'll capture something amazing. I
          also preach to not waste time photographing it unless you absolutely
          have to. I'd say at least 50% of the people who fiddle with cameras end
          up capturing nothing, and miss seeing the spectacle. I know; I've been
          there!

          One fellow on this past cruise had three camera going simultaneously.
          His longest lens was 500mm f/8. He managed to fire off about 50
          pictures during totality. Too bad he forgot to remove the solar filter!
          I could write a book about such things.

          I once took perfect pictures of the green flash one night off the coast
          of Key West, FL. When I went to rewind the film I discovered I had
          never loaded the camera.

          CJ, convince your parents they should consider a "vacation" for the
          2009 total eclipse across China and Japan. On yea, get them to take you
          along, too. It'll be in the summer months, so you'll be out of school.

          Kent Blackwell

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7 2:18 PM
            China and Japan? It'll never happen :(
          • Bob Bunge
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7 7:13 PM
              CJ,

              Never say never. Sometimes you can go amazing places!

              I have two favorite eclipse photos:

              http://ladyandtramp.com/eclipse/total.gif

              While at first, I considered this image to be a failure since the base
              exposure was too short to capture much of the corena, over the years
              (shot in 1998), it's become the image that I treasure the most since it
              clearly captures the moment (Bob - is that damn camera EVER going to go
              off!)!

              http://ladyandtramp.com/a-7.gif

              Here I was age 22 and a experienced "event" photographer on an aircraft
              carrier that happened to put me at the right place and time - south of
              Sicily. 500mm Mirror Nikkor lens, 2x extender (f/16), Kodachrome 64.
              Hand held, 1/1000 sec.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7 8:44 PM
                LOL! The first picture was funny, the 2nd was really cool. I wish I
                had money to travel >_<
              • kentblackwell
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 8 12:45 PM
                  The money will come, eventually. I was a kid when I booked the
                  second "eclipse cruise" ever back in 1973. There I was a kid who had
                  never traveled outside the state of Virginia on his way to see a 7-
                  minute eclipse off the coast of Africa!

                  What started it all for me was witnessing a total solar eclipse from
                  Virginia Beach (my backyard) on March 7, 1970. After than, I drove to
                  Antigonish, Canada for the 1972 eclipse, then the above mentioned
                  African eclipse of 1973. My dining room table partner was Neil
                  Armstrong, who had only recently walked on the moon. I ate my desert
                  staring at his feet! I had him sign a large blow-up copy of The First
                  Men On the Moon commenative stamps I had just bought at the Hayden
                  Planetarium before sailing from the NYC port. eBay here I come!

                  <hotmid6@...> wrote:

                  > LOL! The first picture was funny, the 2nd was really cool. I wish I
                  > had money to travel >_<

                • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 8 4:32 PM
                    Wow! I would of crapped my pants!
                  • Paul Gray
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 9 7:00 AM
                      Kent and CJ,

                      Kent, you cameall the way to litle ole Antigonish to see that
                      eclipse! I am surpirsed someone even knows where Antigonish is!
                      Forthose who are wondering its east of Tatamagouche! LMAO! yesi said
                      Tat-A-ma-gouche, say itas its spelled! Reallythough both are on north
                      shore of Nova Scotia about 1.5 hrs from Halifax.

                      And CJ, you never know wher you will end up in 2 years, 5 years 10
                      years! Crap, i was a little 15 year old astronomer who joined the
                      RASC in Halifax and never thought I would ever getto the Air and
                      Space meuseum and places in DC then what you know, work took me to
                      Annapolis maryland for 5 years! At 15 the observers handbook was the
                      bible beforedays of computer programs and internet, never thought I
                      would haveanything of interest or importance to say that woudl be
                      included, now after lots of obseving and work i have my own section
                      on dark nebulae. It just took a lot of work yes but most of that work
                      was out of fun and enjoyment of staying in the hobby a long time with
                      lots of freinds like those here at DMSG and RASC. THe observing has
                      been and is an "Obsession" but that obsession has taken me many
                      places. It doesnt happen overnight but it does happen.

                      Hope to see eveyone again on a trip south sometime and meet new
                      members like yourself as well,

                      Clear skies,

                      Paul Gray

                      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The money will come, eventually. I was a kid when I booked the
                      > second "eclipse cruise" ever back in 1973. There I was a kid who
                      had
                      > never traveled outside the state of Virginia on his way to see a 7-
                      > minute eclipse off the coast of Africa!
                      >
                      > What started it all for me was witnessing a total solar eclipse
                      from
                      > Virginia Beach (my backyard) on March 7, 1970. After than, I drove
                      > Antigonish, Canada for the 1972 eclipse, then the above mentioned
                      > African eclipse of 1973. My dining room table partner was Neil
                      > Armstrong, who had only recently walked on the moon. I ate my
                      desert
                      > staring at his feet! I had him sign a large blow-up copy of The
                      First
                      > Men On the Moon commenative stamps I had just bought at the Hayden
                      > Planetarium before sailing from the NYC port. eBay here I come!
                      >
                      > Kent Blackwell
                      >
                      > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"
                      > <hotmid6@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > LOL! The first picture was funny, the 2nd was really cool. I wish
                      > > had money to travel >_<

                    • kentblackwell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 9 8:19 AM
                        Paul, it's always fun when we get together. And I thoroughly enjoy
                        your wrintings in "The Obsevers Handbook".

                        Kent Blackwell

                        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gray" <perserid@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Kent and CJ,
                        >
                        > Kent, you cameall the way to litle ole Antigonish to see that
                        > eclipse! I am surpirsed someone even knows where Antigonish is!
                        > Forthose who are wondering its east of Tatamagouche! LMAO! yesi
                        said
                        > Tat-A-ma-gouche, say itas its spelled! Reallythough both are on
                        north
                        > shore of Nova Scotia about 1.5 hrs from Halifax.
                        >
                        > And CJ, you never know wher you will end up in 2 years, 5 years 10
                        > years! Crap, i was a little 15 year old astronomer who joined the
                        > RASC in Halifax and never thought I would ever getto the Air and
                        > Space meuseum and places in DC then what you know, work took me to
                        > Annapolis maryland for 5 years! At 15 the observers handbook was
                        the
                        > bible beforedays of computer programs and internet, never thought I
                        > would haveanything of interest or importance to say that woudl be
                        > included, now after lots of obseving and work i have my own section
                        > on dark nebulae. It just took a lot of work yes but most of that
                        work
                        > was out of fun and enjoyment of staying in the hobby a long time
                        with
                        > lots of freinds like those here at DMSG and RASC. THe observing has
                        > been and is an "Obsession" but that obsession has taken me many
                        > places. It doesnt happen overnight but it does happen.
                        >
                        > Hope to see eveyone again on a trip south sometime and meet new
                        > members like yourself as well,
                        >
                        > Clear skies,
                        >
                        > Paul Gray
                        >

                        > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The money will come, eventually. I was a kid when I booked the
                        > > second "eclipse cruise" ever back in 1973. There I was a kid who
                        > had
                        > > never traveled outside the state of Virginia on his way to see a
                        7-
                        > > minute eclipse off the coast of Africa!
                        > >
                        > > What started it all for me was witnessing a total solar eclipse
                        > from
                        > > Virginia Beach (my backyard) on March 7, 1970. After than, I
                        drove
                        > > Antigonish, Canada for the 1972 eclipse, then the above mentioned
                        > > African eclipse of 1973. My dining room table partner was Neil
                        > > Armstrong, who had only recently walked on the moon. I ate my
                        > desert
                        > > staring at his feet! I had him sign a large blow-up copy of The
                        > First
                        > > Men On the Moon commenative stamps I had just bought at the
                        Hayden
                        > > Planetarium before sailing from the NYC port. eBay here I come!
                        > >
                        > > Kent Blackwell
                        > >
                        > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"
                        > > <hotmid6@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > LOL! The first picture was funny, the 2nd was really cool. I
                        wish
                        > > > had money to travel >_<

                      • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 9 9:42 AM
                          Paul, are you going to be at tuckahoe for Star Gaze?
                        • kentblackwell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 9 12:41 PM
                            Paul, when I was at Antigonish the elipse was the biggest thing that
                            happened since some queen (a real queen!) sailed down the river on a
                            barge. Do you remember anything about that?

                            Anyway, I videotaped the eclipse. Remember, we're talking year 1972!
                            Everyone was asking how could I possible record a video image on a
                            piece of recording tape. My, how things have changed. My video
                            recorder was the size of a suitcase. All the equipment was so
                            excessively large that one of the farmers (MacDonald was really his
                            name)drove home and built a picnic table for me to set my gear on!
                            Now that's neighborly!

                            Oh, such fun times I've had, and such wonderful people I've met.
                            Solar eclipses bring out the best in us.

                            wrote:

                            > Kent and CJ,
                            >
                            > Kent, you cameall the way to litle ole Antigonish to see that
                            > eclipse! I am surpirsed someone even knows where Antigonish is!
                            > Forthose who are wondering its east of Tatamagouche! LMAO! yesi
                            said
                            > Tat-A-ma-gouche, say itas its spelled! Reallythough both are on
                            north
                            > shore of Nova Scotia about 1.5 hrs from Halifax.
                            >
                            > And CJ, you never know wher you will end up in 2 years, 5 years 10
                            > years! Crap, i was a little 15 year old astronomer who joined the
                            > RASC in Halifax and never thought I would ever getto the Air and
                            > Space meuseum and places in DC then what you know, work took me to
                            > Annapolis maryland for 5 years! At 15 the observers handbook was
                            the
                            > bible beforedays of computer programs and internet, never thought I
                            > would haveanything of interest or importance to say that woudl be
                            > included, now after lots of obseving and work i have my own section
                            > on dark nebulae. It just took a lot of work yes but most of that
                            work
                            > was out of fun and enjoyment of staying in the hobby a long time
                            with
                            > lots of freinds like those here at DMSG and RASC. THe observing has
                            > been and is an "Obsession" but that obsession has taken me many
                            > places. It doesnt happen overnight but it does happen.
                            >
                            > Hope to see eveyone again on a trip south sometime and meet new
                            > members like yourself as well,
                            >
                            > Clear skies,
                            >
                            > Paul Gray
                            >

                            > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The money will come, eventually. I was a kid when I booked the
                            > > second "eclipse cruise" ever back in 1973. There I was a kid who
                            > had
                            > > never traveled outside the state of Virginia on his way to see a
                            7-
                            > > minute eclipse off the coast of Africa!
                            > >
                            > > What started it all for me was witnessing a total solar eclipse
                            > from
                            > > Virginia Beach (my backyard) on March 7, 1970. After than, I
                            drove
                            > > Antigonish, Canada for the 1972 eclipse, then the above mentioned
                            > > African eclipse of 1973. My dining room table partner was Neil
                            > > Armstrong, who had only recently walked on the moon. I ate my
                            > desert
                            > > staring at his feet! I had him sign a large blow-up copy of The
                            > First
                            > > Men On the Moon commenative stamps I had just bought at the
                            Hayden
                            > > Planetarium before sailing from the NYC port. eBay here I come!
                            > >
                            > > Kent Blackwell
                            > >
                            > > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"
                            > > <hotmid6@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > LOL! The first picture was funny, the 2nd was really cool. I
                            wish
                            > > > had money to travel >_<

                          • PJ Riley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 9 1:17 PM
                              Cj,
                              I'll be there....unless it snows !!!!
                              Pj

                              --- "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Paul, are you going to be at tuckahoe for Star Gaze?

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 9 2:43 PM
                                I figure u would :P
                              • Paul Gray
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 9 4:51 PM
                                  CJ,
                                  If you are wondering if this Paul is goingto be at stargaze....sigh i
                                  only wish! notthis year but ia m thinking very seroursly about comign
                                  to miiror making next yearto try making one of those schief's!

                                  Paul Gray

                                  <hotmid6@...> wrote:

                                  > Paul, are you going to be at tuckahoe for Star Gaze?

                                • Michael Enright
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 9 6:11 PM
                                    Kent,

                                    The green flash you refer to, I read once that just as the sun sets it gives off a green flash.  Is this true and was that the green flash you were refering to?

                                    Mike

                                    <hotmid6@...> wrote:

                                    > Wow! That's the best one yet Kent! I'm actually going to use it for
                                    my
                                    > wallpaper for my PSP(playstation portable)

                                  • Steven Long
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 10 6:35 AM
                                      Michael Enright wrote:

                                      > Kent,
                                      >
                                      > The green flash you refer to, I read once that just as the sun sets it
                                      > gives off a green flash. Is this true and was that the green flash
                                      > you were refering to?

                                      Mike -- check out:

                                      http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

                                      I've seen the "green flash" twice during summer sunsets off the beaches
                                      near Sarasota, Florida. It requires certain atmospheric conditions, I
                                      think, and is such a brief (between one and two seconds) and vertically
                                      thin manifestation that a person sitting on the sand will see it end
                                      before a person standing next to them will see it begin.

                                      I was observing by eye both times, and contrary to some of the written
                                      reports at that URL, one time the sky turned greenish around the green
                                      sliver of the setting sun, the color fading out about two sun-diameters
                                      from the bright green limb. I'm not sure whether or not that was a true
                                      phenomenon or an illusion.

                                      Steve