Star Gaze XII No Cheapskates?

  • Jerry Truitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
      We have certainly gone to both ends of the spectrum here, from
      cheapskate to cash cow.
      First let me say if you are interested in seeing through a real
      telescope take a look at our out reach page, it is current with
      places you can go to actually observe with a member of the Delmarva
      Stargazers.

      We do these all year long, many on short notice some well planned
      ahead of time. There are a certain number of us who really enjoy
      sharing our hobby with the public and do it often. If you call me and
      make arrangements, I'll come to your house and do a show for you and
      your family. If someone wants to look through a telescope the
      Delmarva Stargazers are almost always willing to accommodate.

      That being said, most of us feel the Star Party is not that place.
      The Star Party is a chance for people who really want to observe with
      other people who have the same passion. If it seems like we're saying
      the casual observer isn't welcome, I'd say that's somewhat true. I
      have my equipment set up that cost more than I can really afford and
      I would not be thrilled with a number of casual observers strolling
      around my stuff. I don't put things away because I know the other
      people there have also put out they're hard earned cash. So if I walk
      away I feel safe that my stuff will be there when I get back.

      Let me also point out we give the park an open invitation for campers
      to stop by and check us out. The park even bills us as an activity.
      Last no Frills we had a group of Club Scouts stop by. We gave them a
      presentation inside and took them out to observe. So it's not like
      we're closed to the public.

      I would never refer to someone as a cheapskate; we all have to live
      within our means. But the fact is, if you plan ahead you get in for
      $25. The Delamarva Stargazers offer plenty of free opportunities if
      you don't have $25 through out the year.
    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        Well said Jerry