Re: Star Gaze XII activities

  • Ralph Dominica
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1 7:23 AM
      Hi Folks
      As Don suggested originally its great to have choices. I'm a Del
      Marva Stargazer who rarely attends meetings but has always enjoyed
      the camraderie and the hospitality that has been extended by the club
      at the No Frills and the Star Gaze.

      On this occasion, because of my work and travel schedule I have an
      option for only one night of observing. I also have wanted to see the
      skies at Bell Plaine, so this time I am going to New Jersey.

      But I will tell you, I sure am gonna miss the fish fry and soup and
      camraderie of the Del Marva folks and will look forward to other
      nights at Tuckahoe and the No Frills outing in the Fall.

      lets just hope for clear skies and great observing at both locations

      Ralph

      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "John Ambrose"
      <jtambrose@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris,
      >
      > I didn't take offense at Don's comments. But I disagree, these
      > outings should be an incentive for the casual observers to come out
      > and enjoy the camaraderie of a group of astro-nerds (of which I am
      > one:) in the enjoyment of the hobby. If you want to increase the
      > clubs bottom line encourage more to join in, after all you can bring
      > your own fish and do the fry yourself...if you like fish anyway <g>
      > For me it is the principal of the thing, don't try to scalp folks
      who
      > might just like to come out and participate. You know most folks
      have
      > only the weekend anyway, so the extra days don't matter.
      >
      > John
      >

      > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Stargazer Chris"
      > <icstars2k@> wrote:
      > >
      > > John, it's clear that the star parties are a cash cow for the
      club.
      > (I've heard that for years.)
      > >
      > > And don't take Don's response to mean he doesn't care... because
      no
      > matter how it sounded, I *know* he didn't mean it that way. ;+)
      > Perhaps you should attempt to add "star party fee structure" to the
      > agenda of a club meeting for the club officers to respond
      officially.

      > > For me, I've always felt that the cost is a deterrant for casual
      > star gazers. A one-night pass in the $10 range would give the
      casual
      > observe a chance to experience it. With a minimum of 2-3 days, some
      > people (like my dad) would *never* go, especially not for $40 at the
      > gate!!
      > >
      > > The good thing is ball field observing is free. You could observe
      > from the ball field for free even during the star party. (Just
      can't
      > camp there.)
      > >
      > > -Chris

      April 28
      > > >through
      > nights in the
      > > >daytime
      > discourage the
      > (he is
      > > >Nagler).

      Have you
      > > >heard

      > contains
      > under
      > hereby
      > e-mail,
      > sender by
      > explicitly
      > e-mail does
      > acceptance
      > to the
      > purposes or for

      > Chinese Korean

      > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > > > Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
      > > delmarvastargazers">delmarvastargazers</a>" on the web.
      > Service.

      of
      > Service.

      ----------

    • Patrick Kelly
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1 9:36 AM
        Since moving to Delmarva almost 7 years ago I sent in membership to
        DMS a few years but never was able to make meetings. Its that thing
        called life: two kids in school, school parental activities, work
        goofy hours (sometimes in bed @7; up and out @ 4AM), Boy Scouts, elder
        care, home care...soo much for the quiet country life , eh? so while
        we are dedicated we do most regular stargazing at home on the spur of
        the moment. Me and the boy did make it to a Stargaze a couple years
        back as casual afternoon/evening walkins but don't recall paying $40
        (but maybe we did pay that) ...that's a lot for a walkin' to chat and
        check out the views and scopes. Stephen DID enjoy a talk by a fella
        from NASA, I gave him hell for pigging out in the cake pan and
        embarassing me <g>, lotta good coffee. In the end we had a good time
        and everyone was aces, friendly and nerdy just like us and we felt at
        home even as a one/two-off event for us. All I'll say is do the best
        to keep prices low for a variety of types of visitors, especially
        those just getting into stargazing and want to come out one evening
        and check out scopes and chat and learn...after all, that is the
        default suggestion to newbies, so every effort should be made to
        accomodate and encourage this.

        That being said we still follow the List and Club (though not
        members...maybe we should still join/donate to help support the local
        club) from our home in nearby Centreville. When kids and life settles
        (which it IS...the older boy hopefully will be off to college in a
        year or two) I'm confident I'll become finally active. In the meantime
        we're having a roloff 13x13 observatory built here at home by Backyard
        Observatories of Ohio next week to house my D&G 6" f/15 refractor. Not
        exactly portable, but by the time the kids start to move on I'll have
        something more portable again for down-the-road and Stargaze days..and
        nights.

        Pat Kelly in Centreville, Maryland

        <icstars2k@...> wrote:

        > Don,
        >
        > So what you're saying is that $40 for a casual observer to come out
        for a few hours one night is a reasonable cost?

        > You'll never convince me of that.
        >
        > -Chris
      • White Leonard W TSgt 512 EMS/MXMTI
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4 8:16 AM
          John, it may already have been expressed but just for the record I'd
          like to say that I am willing to actively participate all year in
          "public outreach" events and look forward to our 2 star parties as a
          time to relax and just enjoy the views thru all the different scopes
          without having to "encourage, educate & enlighten" the masses of
          prospective amateur astronomers. I spent at least 2 hours at the last
          star party entertaining a cub-scout leader and his 2 boys because they
          "showed up" and I didn't want them to have a bad impression of our club
          but given the choice in advance I would have referred them to one of our
          many "outreach events" held throughout the year. Just my 2 cents. I
          think there will be as many opinions of what a star-party "SHOULD" be as
          there are people who can formulate opinions. One thing is for sure, it
          will probably be discussed at tonite's monthly meeting. Why not try &
          attend? I don't know where you are located, maybe you can make it. Let
          me know if we can try and arrange a "ride" for you if necessary, thanx!

          <icstars2k@...> wrote:

          > John, it's clear that the star parties are a cash cow for the club.
          (I've heard that for years.)

          > And don't take Don's response to mean he doesn't care... because no
          matter how it sounded, I *know* he didn't mean it that way. ;+)
          Perhaps you should attempt to add "star party fee structure" to the
          agenda of a club meeting for the club officers to respond officially.

          > For me, I've always felt that the cost is a deterrant for casual
          star gazers. A one-night pass in the $10 range would give the casual
          observe a chance to experience it. With a minimum of 2-3 days, some
          people (like my dad) would *never* go, especially not for $40 at the
          gate!!

          > The good thing is ball field observing is free. You could observe
          from the ball field for free even during the star party. (Just can't
          camp there.)

          > -Chris

          ------

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Norton Douglas (DTI)
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4 8:33 AM

            I realized early that star parties are tough times to do serious observing. Visiting old friends, looking through other folks’ telescopes, people looking through yours, etc. I always saved my serious observing for the times I was either out by myself or with other folks in the fields at Tuckahoe. But even then there was the occasional family or group of folks who knew we were out there that would stop by for an impromptu “outreach” session. That was always tough because I wanted to show these folks the sky and what was visible but it would cut into my observing time. But such is the life of an amateur astronomer.

            Douglas A. Norton

            Department of Technology & Information

            System Administrator

            William Penn Data Center

            Phone: 302-739-9604

            href="http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html">http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html
            >   >>
            >   >
            >   >
            >   >
            >   >
            >   >
            >
            >      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            >   delmarvastargazers">delmarvastargazers</a>" on the web.
            >   >    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >   >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            Service.
            >   >

            Service.

            ------

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Paul Gray
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4 10:01 AM
              Hello Everyone,

              I am always happy to see discussion on club activities and events but
              am deeply sadden and somewhat shocked by the recent discussion. I am
              not a member have not been since I moved home to Canada but have many
              friends here at the stargazers so feel free to tell me to but out if
              you choose and I will.

              Having atteneded more than a handful of No Frills and Stargaze events
              I must say they are some of the best and relaxing star parties I been
              too. I did question back in 2001 though the fee structure on a
              different slant….. why is it pay by the day? All of the star parties
              I been too over the last 18 years and every campground I stayed at
              has always been pay by the night. How many nights are you staying? I
              come in on Friday and am charged for 3 days when I am there two
              nights but get up at 8am and check out on Sunday…….(just stirring the
              pot)

              As for the fees…..I will not argue the prices as 2 nights of camping
              alone puts you in the $30-$40 range. Add that to the services the
              volunteers provide through clean up, supplies, planning etc etc etc
              etc, I think Don listed it all well enough.

              But I always wondered about the non-campers. Yes they do exist. Many
              people stay off site in motels and hotels at many star parties
              including stargaze and no-frills. Should a non camper who is there
              only for the observing time pay the same? Almost every star party
              that I can think I been too has had a different fee structure for the
              non-campers. Or is the non-camping astronomers not welcome as it
              seems to have been implied in some of the discussion?

              This last point is what has shocked me. I understand the public
              walking in taking in views cuts into the serious observing time. I
              been there remember. I never turned away a person from views through
              my scope. What shocked and saddened me is that a past member/possible
              member again was turned away from not only the star party because his
              questions/ideas were not only turned down but was also turned away
              from the club because he rose the questions! This was a not a general
              public person looking for some free views. Building an observatory as
              he is signs of a serious astronomer.

              Future members are the future of the all astronomy clubs. We have to
              keep that in mind. As well just because we have done something for 8
              or 10 years does not mean that its always the best way and that there
              is no room for change. Granted NO change for this year but maybe
              something that should/could be considered in the future.

              Clear skies and hope to visit soon,
              Wishing I was at the meeting tonight!

              Paul Gray
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4 11:25 AM

                Paul, thanks for your kind words.  Delmarva Star Gazers have always promoted friendliness and civility.  We value camaraderie and fellowship with our stargazing friends.  We enjoy good people, good food, clear skies, big telescopes and Naglers.

                We have never denied anyone a look thru the eyepiece whether it is attached to a tasco or a takahashi.

                We promote our starparties to have fun...period.

                If anyone believes we hold them to make money they are severely misinformed.  I would encourage each person who believes our parties are overpriced at $25 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday??? to promote their own party for less.

                If you check the Tuckahoe State Park Website you will find their campsites w/o electricity are $20 per night.   The people who stated they would observe from the ballfield can do that only because Delmarva Star Gazers successfully negotiated with the Park Superintendent to use the ballfield at night.

                There will be star parties only if amateur astronomers value them to the point of supporting them with their $$$.  No organization can provide free star parties.

                As far as by the day or by the night or by the weekend...the cost of a starparty to DSG is the same whether a person stays in a tent or in a hotel...same field, same coffee, same food, same trash, same portapotties, same everything except the snoring is done in the motel room vs the tent next to me.   The other problem is how to tell whether a person is a 1 nighter, 2 nighter, paid, or not paid.   We don't like being policemen - we are at the party to have fun.

                And for information for everyone, our desire to have no treasury is one of the main principles upon which our organization was founded - in reality we must have some funds but we have tried to keep the bank account to a minimum.

                For those on this list who have other priorities and will not attend Star Gaze XII, I can understand your position...if you have other commitments or choose to go to other star parties that is ok with me - it is your decision.   Go and have fun.

                For those who choose to come to Star Gaze XII here is the weather forecast for the Equestrian Center April 28 thru May 2:

                "Warm sunny days around 75F with a slight breeze; nighttime temps will drop to the low 60's by midnight and around 58F by dawn's early light - skies will be extremely clear.  There will also be a slight dew-zapping breeze."

                See you at the Equestrian Center.  The coffee will be Gazer quality and the soup will be hot.  And the hush puppies and fish...

                You may want to bring some sleeping pills so you can sleep during the day and stay up to enjoy the clear night-time hours.

                Don...

                "Paul Gray" <perserid@...>
                Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                04/04/2006 01:01 PM

                Please respond to
                delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                cc
[...]

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                transfers of data to third parties.

              • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4 11:56 AM
                  Just reading the end of your message Don just beats up my adrenaline
                  (misspelled probably). Coffee,endless objects,seafood, I WISH I COULD
                  FLY THROUGH TIME!!!
                • Bob Bunge
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 9 7:26 PM
                    Don R Surles wrote:
                    > The people who stated
                    > they would observe from the ballfield can do that only because Delmarva
                    > Star Gazers successfully negotiated with the Park Superintendent to use
                    > the ballfield at night.

                    Don, you bet! As example how important access to TSP has been to my own
                    observing program of drawing the Arp galaxies, started in 1997:

                    Location #objects observed
                    ---------------------------
                    Tuckahoe State Park, MD 119
                    Delmarva Star Parties, MD 48
                    Southern Park, Charles Cty, MD 27
                    Table Mountain Star Party, WA 19
                    Laural Highland Star Cruise, MD 17
                    CM Crocket Park, VA 13
                    Big Meadows Park, VA 12
                    Skyline Drive, VA 9
                    Warren Rupp Obs, OH 9
                    Winter Star Party, FL 8
                    Oregon Star Party, OR 7
                    Nanjemoy Obs, MD 5
                    Mansperger Farm, WA 1
                    Camp Highroad, VA 1

                    About 56% of my observations have been made from Tuckahoe! Apertures
                    from 6 to 31-inches.

                    Clear Skies,

                    Bob