Re: [delmarvastargazers] More Eclipse...

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006

      The Wind Blew...and Blew and Blew.  Then it really got windy!

      I must admit I was a late arrival at Woodland Beach.  Karen and I had some miscommunication about dinner and eclipse viewing.  She had dinner ready when I arrived home at 5:45 so I had to pretend I was hungry (for food) and I ate while the moon was readying itself for stage-center showtime at 6:00.

      I left home at 6:00 and watched the moon rise over eastern DE as I made my way to the Delaware River and Woodland Beach.  I had a 40 MPH tailwind so the drive was fast and easy.  And the moon was simply gorgeous as it rose above the edge of night that was creeping up from the horizon.

      Upon arrival I found Lyle, Jim Acker, Ron Zink, Jerry Truitt, and George???? braving the river winds that for some reason are stronger than the Smyrna land winds (Smyrna land winds are normally near hurricane force in March).

      I expected the eclipse to improve but was disappointed as the faint shadow that was so obvious at moonrise slowly disappeared.  There was a direct correlation between the lessening of the shadow and our resolve to continue to brave the Gale-Force Delaware River Winds and the occasional shower of sand in the eyes.  So, less than an hour after my arrival I was packing up the 25X100 Chairman Mao bino and making my way back to the relative calm of 514 Marilyn Road in Smyrna.  Let's hope for Better Views during the next eclipse.  The group of Stargazers. or MoonGazers,  made the trip interesting.  We need to do more of this in the future - which means less Lazyboy activities.

      See you under the clear Spring Skies of Bombay Hook March 24-25 & Mar 31-Apr 1.

      Don...

      "Norton Douglas \(DTI\)" <douglas.norton@...>
      Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      03/15/2006 07:55 AM

      Please respond to
      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      Subject
      [delmarvastargazers] Eclipse...

      I showed up to Woodland Beach at 5:30 to let my son run around. He had an absolute blast. But the wind kept getting worse and the temperature kept dropping. It was too much for him and a little too much for me. We saw Jim Acker, Ron Zink, Jerry Truitt before we left. Tyler did not want to leave but he was freezing. I watched the eclipse on my way home. It must have been nice from the beach. Hope you all had fun.

      Douglas A. Norton
      Department of Technology & Information
      System Administrator
      William Penn Data Center
      Phone: 302-739-9604
      Fax: 302-739-3925
      Email: Douglas.Norton@...

      Astronomy gift Astronomy magazine Astronomy telescope
      E-mails Astronomy star name Astronomy camera ccd

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      transfers of data to third parties.

    • Joshua Zimmerman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006
        Yeah - after looking at the forecast - I decided to view the event away from the beach. - I can't imagine how windy it must have been! - I agree that after sunrise, the view diminished quite rapidly and yes, part of that could have have been due to various obstructions in the eye including sand, dust and flying cows.

        From: Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-1@...>
        Date: Wed Mar 15 07:19:56 CST 2006
        To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] More Eclipse...

        To<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>ccSubject[delmarvastargazers] Eclipse...

        I showed up to Woodland Beach at5:30 to let my son run around. He had an absolute blast. But the wind keptgetting worse and the temperature kept dropping. It was too much for himand a little too much for me. We saw Jim Acker, Ron Zink, Jerry Truittbefore we left. Tyler did not want to leave but he was freezing. I watchedthe eclipse on my way home. It must have been nice from the beach. Hopeyou all had fun.

        Douglas A. Norton
        Department of Technology &Information
        System Administrator
        William Penn Data Center
        Phone: 302-739-9604
        Fax: 302-739-3925
        Email: Douglas.Norton@...

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
         Visit your group "delmarvastargazers"on the web.
          To unsubscribe from this group, send an emailto:
          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo!Terms of Service.

        This communication is for use by the intended recipient and containsinformation that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted underapplicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are herebyformally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail,in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender byreturn e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitlyand conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail doesnot constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptanceof a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to theuse of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or fortransfers of data to third parties.Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
         Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/delmarvastargazers">delmarvastargazers</a>" on the web.