RE: [delmarvastargazers] Joe's pictures

  • Joe Morris
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi Kent -- I also have a Byers 812. Right now I'm not using it in my dome
      at home and replaced it with my "portable" mount an Astrophysics 600E GTO.
      Although the tracking isn't a good as the 812, with the electronic periodic
      error correction that one can program into the mount, it makes it about the
      same. My dome is very small, 2.5 meters, so the 600 mounts fits better. I
      made two wooden boxes for the mount and accessories that each measure about
      16X15X8" The 48" hollow pier can hold the legs and support struts inside
      it. Everything easily fits behind the seats in my extended cab pickup.

      I see Astrophysics has announced a new mount about the same size to replace
      their 400 and 600 series that haven't been made for sometime. Maybe some of
      the older 400 and 600's will start showing up on Astromart.

      You know the old saying that for astrophotography, a person should spend as
      much or more on the mount compared to the telescope. You probably will want
      to put more that just your 80mm scope on the mount, for instance a second
      scope to guide with.

      What are we going to do with the 812's?

      > Joe, I haven't had much experience at stacking pictures, but hope to
      > gain that experience. Thank you for sharing your expertise with us.
      >
      > I really need to get a better equatorial mount. I'm currently using
      > the little Takahashi Teegul. It's an amazing little device I bought
      > years ago and ever used. It even fits in my camera bag! But the
      > little TAK really suffers in areas of easy of attaining polar
      > alignment. It also lacks motorized DEC slow motion controls. All my
      > pictures have been using manual slow motion adjustments, a real pain
      > in the...well, you know. It's actually designed for wide-field
      > photography using lenses under 300mm. I must say, it does very well,
      > even using the 80mm TMB having a f.l. of 600mm. What other equatorial
      > head weighing in at only a few pounds can do that?
      >
      > Does anyone have a suggestion of a good portable equatorial mount for
      > an 80mm f/7.5 refractor? I was thinking about the Orion Atlas, or
      > maybe their new less bulky and less expensive Sirius. I have a Byers
      > 812 (for scopes 8" - 12", hence the model number 812) but feel it's
      > ridiculously large for an 80mm. I don't even think I could balance it
      > if I took all the DEC counterweights off. Heck, I don't think it
      > would balance if I even removed the couterweight shaft itself! Maybe
      > I could balance it out by sticking a 12" reflector on top
      >
      > Kent Blackwell
    • kentblackwell
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        Hi, Joe, et all. Although I'm not currently using my Byers 812 mount
        I would never sell it for fear I may use it one day. Joe and others
        know the 812 was light years ahead of anything on the market when it
        emerged in the early 1980s, and is still up there with the very best
        mounts. I used mine for 15 years, and I mean used it hard. Despite
        being used under the worst conditions of cold, heat, dampness, etc.
        it still works flawlessly. It is, truly, one of the greatest
        purchases I've ever made. Can you belive the mount sold for $895, a
        steal in 1980 and a ridiculously low price for such quality today?

        Don't ask Ed Byers about the 812. It was a commercial flop, and
        caused him ulsers and heartache. I think he told me he only made 198
        of them and lost thousand and thousands of dollars on the venture.

        Kent Blackwell

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Morris"