Re: [delmarvastargazers] Observing Friday night

  • Steven Long
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001
      Everyone:

      Happy winter solstice! I won't be out tonight -- I still have
      too much to do for the holiday next week.

      Maybe after the 26th I'll be able to get out once or twice.

      Everyone have a wonderful holiday! Doug, enjoy your new house!

      Steve
    • kentblackwell
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2007
        The sky was quite good Friday night. We've all had it happen; my
        digital setting circles were operating perfectly, then all of a sudden
        the altitude encoder decided to quit. I isolated the problem to a
        broken lead on a telephone-type jack. Since I'd waste time trying to
        repair a very difficult problem (with no tools on hand) I spent the
        time doing it the old-fashioned way; that is, by starhopping. Have you
        ever starhopped with a 25" pointed near the zenith? I must have scooted
        up that 8' ladder 200 times or more, but still managed to find about 35
        new galaxies in Leo and Bootes. It was a frustrating night, but loads
        of fun regardless.

        I wish I could have joined you at Star Gaze XIII.

        Kent Blackwell
      • Michael P. Borgia
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2007
          Out of breath thinking about it....

          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14, 2007
            To all Star Gazers, ie, all those who have attended or want to attend
            Delmarva Star Gaze or No Frills Star Parties...

            1) please come and enjoy the company of each other...regardless of the
            weatherman's ridiculously inaccurate forecasts

            2) although each of us get a charge from each view of the universe thru the
            eyepiece the camaraderie of fellow amateur astronomers is more important than
            the seeing of the countless deep sky objects

            3) in your book or memory of "bagged objects" consider making an entry that
            describes a new friendship made or an old one re-established

            4) I personally guarantee the friendship entries will eventually be of more
            value than the NGC's, Abells, or XYZ's

            5) And, by the way, Friday night was a great night for viewing, for
            culitvating new friendships and re-newing some of my earliest astro-buddy
            friendships...I made many entries of each in my log book!

            See you at the next meeting or at the next astro-event.

            Don...

            From: kentblackwell To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com Sent:
            Saturday, April 14, 2007 5:45 PM Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Observing
            Friday night

            >The sky was quite good Friday night. We've all had it happen; my
            >digital setting circles were operating perfectly, then all of a sudden
            >the altitude encoder decided to quit. I isolated the problem to a
            >broken lead on a telephone-type jack. Since I'd waste time trying to
            >repair a very difficult problem (with no tools on hand) I spent the
            >time doing it the old-fashioned way; that is, by starhopping. Have you
            >ever starhopped with a 25" pointed near the zenith? I must have scooted
            >up that 8' ladder 200 times or more, but still managed to find about 35
            >new galaxies in Leo and Bootes. It was a frustrating night, but loads
            >of fun regardless.
            >
            >I wish I could have joined you at Star Gaze XIII.
            >
            >Kent Blackwell

          • Cliff Hedgepeth
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
              Don,

              I really wanted to come but had to weigh not so much not viewing as I
              can do that here but meeting folks against sleeping in the cold rain.
              I'm not as young as I used to be and cold rain is hard on arthritis.
              So please don't be so hard on us that drive 5 hours to get there. If I
              lived within an hour or so I would have come for Friday and Saturday.

              Cliff

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
                Cliff and all Star Gazers...I understand about distance, driving, aches & pains, etc vs stargazing and star parties.   Please don't interpret my my email as chastisement...I didn't mean it that way.  The emailer's skills and mastery of our language limit the email's  intended message ...and electronics are prone to remove all the intended emotions of the emailers.

                Bottom line, all are invited to our events and star parties present an opportunity to expand the pleasures we derive from our chosen hobby.

                Thanks for all the support of ALL our Star Gazers for the past 15 years and I certainly hope the support and participation for the next 15 will be just as great!

                Don...

                "Cliff Hedgepeth" <cliff_hedgepeth@...>
                Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                04/15/2007 09:12 AM

                Please respond to
                delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                cc

                wrote:

                > To all Star Gazers, ie, all those who have attended or want to attend
                > Delmarva Star Gaze or No Frills Star Parties...
                >
                > 1) please come and enjoy the company of each other...regardless of
                the
                > weatherman's ridiculously inaccurate forecasts
                >
                > 2) although each of us get a charge from each view of the universe
                thru the
                > eyepiece the camaraderie of fellow amateur astronomers is more
                important than
                > the seeing of the countless deep sky objects
                >
                > 3) in your book or memory of "bagged objects" consider making
                an
                entry that
                > describes a new friendship made or an old one re-established
                >
                > 4) I personally guarantee the friendship entries will eventually be
                of more
                > value than the NGC's, Abells, or XYZ's
                >
                > 5) And, by the way, Friday night was a great night for viewing, for
                > culitvating new friendships and re-newing some of my earliest
                astro-buddy
                > friendships...I made many entries of each in my log book!
                >
                > See you at the next meeting or at the next astro-event.
                >
                > Don...
                >

                > >From: "Michael P. Borgia" <mborgia@...>
                > >Date: 2007/04/14 Sat PM 04:53:35 CDT
                > >To:
                delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Observing Friday night
                >

                > >Out of breath thinking about it.... Mike ----- Original Message
                -----
                > From: kentblackwell To:
                delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com Sent:
                > Saturday, April 14, 2007 5:45 PM Subject: [delmarvastargazers]
                Observing
                > Friday night
                > >
                > >The sky was quite good Friday night. We've all had it happen;
                my
                > >digital setting circles were operating perfectly, then all of
                sudden
                > >the altitude encoder decided to quit. I isolated the problem to
                > >broken lead on a telephone-type jack. Since I'd waste time trying
                > >repair a very difficult problem (with no tools on hand) I spent
                the
                > >time doing it the old-fashioned way; that is, by starhopping.
                Have
                you
                > >ever starhopped with a 25" pointed near the zenith? I must
                have
                scooted
                > >up that 8' ladder 200 times or more, but still managed to find
                about 35
                > >new galaxies in Leo and Bootes. It was a frustrating night, but
                loads
                > >of fun regardless.
                > >
                > >I wish I could have joined you at Star Gaze XIII.
                > >
                > >Kent Blackwell

                transfers of data to third parties.

              • Cliff Hedgepeth
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
                  Thanks Don, I fully plan on being there for no frills. Like I said, I
                  go to meet folks and this sure seems like a bunch I'd like to know better.

                  By the way, I guess I am your information guy for the Almost Heaven
                  Star Party at Spruce Knob, WV Aug 9-12. A brochure is in the files
                  section.

                  Cliff

                  --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don R Surles