RE: [delmarvastargazers] Re: M 42 image

  • Joe Morris
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 30, 2005
      After you have downloaded your DSLR pictures directly from the camera or
      downloaded them from your memory card into some file on your computer, you
      can tell Registar where they are and it will open them all. Registar will
      open TIFF, JPEG, or FITS images. When I download images from my DSLR in the
      RAW mode, they are converted to FITS format by my MaxImDL software. If you
      they would ask how you want to same them, i.e. TIFF or JPEG. Since FITS is
      a format developed by professional astronomers, I don't think PhotoShop,
      Microsoft or any of the normal image manipulation programs would know what
      FITS is. The advantage of FITS is that the image is embedded with all the
      info about exposure time, date, location, time, filters,RA and Dec, etc.
      FITS is easily converted to TIFF or JPEG by astronomy related software like
      MaxIm or ImagesPlus.

      If you're using RAW mode, you would almost always want to download those
      from the camera into TIFF or FITS since those formats lose no data
      (uncompressed). JPEG reduces the file size (compresses) and initially you
      don't want to use that till you're ready to send them off to people by email
      or post them on a website.

      I can't think of a website right now that, I'm sure, will explain this
      better that I'm doing but if you need more help, I'll keep thinking.

      > Thanks for all the information, Joe. Does Registar allow stacking of
      > images after the pictures are taken with a DSLR, or during? And also,
      > does Registar work with RAW mode?
      >
      > I'm nearly a computer and astrophotograpy virgin, so go slowly.
      >
      > Kent Blackwell
    • John Ambrose
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
        Kent,

        ImagesPlus in the standard out there for DSRL processing and it comes
        with 4 tutorial discs which are voice/video walk throughs for all the
        steps in processing. I highly recommend it.

        Great shot BTW,

        John

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell" <kent@e...>
        wrote:

        > Read the instruction manual? I just looked at the pictures; the same
        > way I "read" certain other publications.
        >
        > Kent
        >
        > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Morris"
        > <joemorris@s...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Kent -- Did your camera come with an instruction manual? Just
        > Kidding!!!
        > >
        > > I don't know about the 20D but the Rebel XT (350D) saves 8.3 MB per
        > picture
        > > in the RAW mode and only 3.3 MB in the highest (best)JPEG mode.
        > The bigger
        > > the file size, the more information (color depth, contrast, etc.)
        > each photo
        > > has. Might not be so important for images only displayed on
        > computers and
        > > website but very important if one wants to make a print later on.
        > It is
        > > assumed that pictures taken in the RAW mode will undergo post-
        > processing
        > > with a computer. More and more image processing software will
        > directly
        > > import Canon RAW file from it's memory card. PhotoShop CS2 will.
        > By the
        > > way, PhotoShop Elements does almost everything most of us need and
        > cost
        > > about $100 instead of the full blown PhotoShop CS2 at about $650.
        > >
        > > Microsoft has released a "free" program for Windows XP that will
        > import RAW
        > > images from your 20D
        > >
        > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/r
        > aw.msp
        > >

        > > > Thanks for all the shared information, I'll check out all the site
        > > > tonight when I get home. I may have more questions. I've been
        > > > shooting everything recently in JPEG & RAW but haven't even
        > figured
        > > > how to open a RAW file, or what to do with it when I do. What is
        > the
        > > > great advantage? Boy, am I an astrophography neophite!
        > > >
        > > > Kent

      • PJ Riley
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
          I hope y'all have had a enjoyable New Year's Eve !

          Just a reminder that the Jan. meeting is this Tues -
          usual place and time - see www.delmarvastargazers.org
          for details.

          Also, Dues are due ($15) !

          Pj

          __________________________________
        • Jean-Paul Richard
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
            John:
            Do you have a link to that ImagesPlus software.
            Thanks.
            Jean-Paul Richard

            John Ambrose wrote:

            >Kent,
            >
            >ImagesPlus in the standard out there for DSRL processing and it comes
            >with 4 tutorial discs which are voice/video walk throughs for all the
            >steps in processing. I highly recommend it.
            >
            >Great shot BTW,
            >
            >John

          • Chris Acostar
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006