M 42 photo specs

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Thanks for all the kind comments on the M 42 picture. I'm
      just "starting out" with astrophography. Want to know what I used the
      last time I attempted same? A Celestron C-8 in orange Nextel finish
      (remember those??) and a Celestron-Williams cold camera (remember
      those?). The cold camera was a real bitch. I had to load the chamber
      with dry ice, snip a clip of 35mm film and load it into the camera.
      That was as much fun as taking wolf poison.

      80mm f/7.5 TMB refractor
      TeleVue 0.8x field flattener
      Canon EOS 20Da camera
      Takahashi Teegul on a lightweight Bogen tripod
      5 minute exposure unguided

      I bought the Takahashi Teegul equatorial head years ago, and used it
      very seldom. It's a great little mount; fits in my camera bag. Where
      else can you find such an accurate little mount, and it's only $1,000.
      That seems pricy, but not for what it is. And the Canon 20Da seems
      pricy, but I still can't believe Canon took the risk to go all out to
      give our community such a wonderful device. I doubt if they'll sell
      more than a few thousand. Kadoos to Canon!