Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Spruce Knob

  • huttonm@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 14, 2005
      The problem that you have in that neck of the woods is that you have to find some unobstructedd land.  You have only two choices, the valleys or the tops of the mountains.  Green Bank is nice since it is bottom land and a relatively large swatch of it, but like all of the bottom land around there, that is where the people live.  It is where the National Radio observatory is as well.  You are going to have very limited horizons. Getting back on the top of mountainss during that time of the year is just not that easy of a thing to do unless you have the equipment, and you know the area.  Any way they close off most of the roads that go back into the public access areas during the winter.

      They skies are very nice there, when it is clear,  but I don't think that I have every seen any color in the Milky way.
      From: "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
      So it'll be better going to Green Banks? Can you see color in the
      milky way or is it white puffs?

    • Bob Bunge
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 14, 2005
        Charles,

        There are three good (spring - summer!) star parties in the Spruce Knob
        area. These are excellent ways to get to these great sites and not have
        to worry about some of the details;

        Greenbank Starquest: http://www.greenbankstarquest.org/
        On the site of the Radio Observatory, great facilities, but don't bring
        your bluetooth equiped telescope!

        Year Long Star Party at Spruce Knob: http://www.novac.com/spruce/
        On the mountain at a camp site. Good shelter from the wind, somewhat
        limited horizons. Camp ground is reserved most new moon weekends
        spring-fall.

        Almost Heaven Star Party: http://www.novac.com/ahsp/
        At the Mountain Institute - I think they are talking about a spring time
        date this year. Showers, better horizon, but perhaps a little less
        protection from the wind.

        Bob

        huttonm@... wrote:
        > The problem that you have in that neck of the woods is that you have to
        > find some unobstructedd land. You have only two choices, the valleys or
        > the tops of the mountains. Green Bank is nice since it is bottom land
        > and a relatively large swatch of it, but like all of the bottom land
        > around there, that is where the people live. It is where the National
        > Radio observatory is as well. You are going to have very limited
        > horizons. Getting back on the top of mountainss during that time of the
        > year is just not that easy of a thing to do unless you have the
        > equipment, and you know the area. Any way they close off most of the
        > roads that go back into the public access areas during the winter.
        >
        > They skies are very nice there, when it is clear, but I don't think
        > that I have every seen any color in the Milky way.

        > From: "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)" <hotmid6@...>
        > So it'll be better going to Green Banks? Can you see color in the
        > milky way or is it white puffs?

      • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 14, 2005
          Cool, thanks bob!