Halloween Observing...

  • Norton Douglas (DTI)
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005

      Well I went to my buddy’s farm last night for a few hours of observing with the 10-inch Dob. I saw so many meteors and one that lit up the ground all around me. I literally thought someone was taking a picture of me. The night compared to Saturday night was much better. All the stars were pinpoints and sharp as tacks. Mars was sharp and lots of detail was seen but I need to make an off-axis mask to get rid of the spider vane spikes. The cluster M15 held up to my highest power and was simply amazing. To quote someone we all know... “It was the best I’ve ever seen it!”

      Here is the list of objects observed. I had planned on looking for objects I hadn’t catalogued yet but I got sidetracked by how beautiful the night was. The Owl Cluster from a dark site and bigger mirror was a fine sight indeed.

      Double Stars

      Albireo

      Delta Ceph

      Gamma And

      Polaris

      Deep Sky

      NGC7331

      NGC457 The Owl Cluster

      M13

      M15

      M31 The Andromeda Galaxy

      M32 Satellite Galaxy

      M110 Satellite Galaxy

      M57 The Ring Nebula

      M27 The Dumbbell Nebula

      M1 Supernova Remnant

      Double Cluster

      M38 (and accompanying NGC 1907)

      Pleiades (with Nebulosity)

      Douglas A. Norton

      Department of Technology & Information

      State of Delaware

      William Penn Data Center

      Phone: 302-739-9604

      Fax: 302-739-3925

    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Wow! Seems like you had a good night! Once I get my lens cleaned and
        hopefully my mirror(from Chuck, the guy I bought it from), I'll be
        going to my aunt's house which is very dark aswell.
      • mark_oneal
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          I was inspired this year and set up the C102 out in the front
          driveway for the trick or treaters to look at Mars. It was pretty low
          in the sky but everyone still thought it was cool. A bunch of people
          said they saw the same bright meteor.

          Mark

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Norton Douglas \(DTI\)"
          <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:

          > Well I went to my buddy's farm last night for a few hours of
          observing
          > with the 10-inch Dob. I saw so many meteors and one that lit up the
          > ground all around me. I literally thought someone was taking a
          picture
          > of me. The night compared to Saturday night was much better. All the
          > stars were pinpoints and sharp as tacks. Mars was sharp and lots of
          > detail was seen but I need to make an off-axis mask to get rid of
          the
          > spider vane spikes. The cluster M15 held up to my highest power and
          was
          > simply amazing. To quote someone we all know... "It was the best
          I've
          > ever seen it!"
          >

          > Here is the list of objects observed. I had planned on looking for
          > objects I hadn't catalogued yet but I got sidetracked by how
          beautiful
          > the night was. The Owl Cluster from a dark site and bigger mirror
          was a
          > fine sight indeed.
          >

          > Double Stars
          >
          > Albireo
          >
          > Delta Ceph
          >
          > Gamma And
          >
          > Polaris
          >

          > Deep Sky
          >
          > NGC7331
          >
          > NGC457 The Owl Cluster
          >
          > M13
          >
          > M15
          >
          > M31 The Andromeda Galaxy
          >
          > M32 Satellite Galaxy
          >
          > M110 Satellite Galaxy
          >
          > M57 The Ring Nebula
          >
          > M27 The Dumbbell Nebula
          >
          > M1 Supernova Remnant
          >
          > Double Cluster
          >
          > M38 (and accompanying NGC 1907)
          >
          > Pleiades (with Nebulosity)
          >

          > Douglas A. Norton
          >
          > Department of Technology & Information
          >
          > State of Delaware
          >
          > William Penn Data Center
          >
          > Phone: 302-739-9604
          >
          > Fax: 302-739-3925
          >
          > Email: Douglas.Norton@s...

        • Jim Rosenstock
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:

            > Well I went to my buddy's farm last night for a few hours of
            observing
            > with the 10-inch Dob. I saw so many meteors and one that lit up the
            > ground all around me. I literally thought someone was taking a
            picture
            > of me.

            Doug,

            Down in Nanjemoy, Charles County MD, several of us in Southern MD
            Astronomical Society saw many meteors during Saturday night's
            observing session, most of them bright.

            The Taurid meteor showers (northern and southern) are active at this
            time; quite a few of the bright meteors we observed were consistent
            with a radiant originating from The Bull. The books say each of the
            Taurid showers are only good for 7 meteors an hour...but of course,
            sporadic rates are higher this time of year, too.

            Pam noted that she saw more meteors on this night than on
            most "major" showers she had gone out to observe. Of course, it was
            clear, dark, and Moonless, which helps!

            Clear skies,

            Jim