occcultation

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2001
      Well, I must apologize to those who braved the weather and went to T-hoe
      for the occultation of the Moon and Saturn. My Lazyboy and the threat of
      rain held onto me until about 7:15. When I walked outside I was amazed to
      find a clear sky, full moon, and Saturn nugged up to the Moon at about the
      8:00 position. So I quickly dragged out a 10" dob, set up a camera for use
      on the scope, grabbed a couple binos, summoned Karen to the driveway, and
      we watched the celestial event. Mother Nature provided enuf fast moving,
      puffy clouds to hide the actual disappearance but in doing so She also
      provided some spectacular views of moonlit clouds that reminded me of
      huge, bright, close-up, nebulae. Quite frankly, I enjoyed the views of the
      moonlit clouds as much as the occultation and spent the entire time Saturn
      was occulted looking at the display. Karen and I used the binos to pan
      away from the Moon so that we were looking at twisted, lighted clouds or
      banks of clouds that were edge-lit. Quite an impressive display! Mother
      Nature did clear the sky for the reappearance - we had a clean view of
      Saturn as slid from behind the moon's edge.

      Did you notice how steady the seeing was? I was amazed at the steadiness
      of the Saturn image - it seemed to take all the power I could arrange with
      eyepieces and barlow - maybe I need a second barlow for more power?

      I hope you all - Vaughn, that's pronounced "yall", had great views of the
      occultation.

      See you at the meeting Tuesday night.