Chiefland Star Party

  • B. Nickerson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
      Hi you all,  (When I come back from the South, it's "you all"-when I return from the North, it's "EH") Anyway, just returned from a month's trip to Florida. Spent 11 days @ Chiefland Star Party. First time I ever put my scope up for 11 days, without ever taking it down. Chiefland is great-@ 5.00 a night. We got electric, hot showers, dumpsters & 9 portable johns--3 for the ladies. And, in my opinion, a great feature was the quiet hours from 4AM to Noon. Used to be 6 to 10, but they changed it due to requests. And when they say NO loud radios, they mean it.Tom Clark ousted one fellow, & told him not to return.We had a great viewing of the meteor showers. In 10 minutes, we counted 102.
      From Chiefland, I went to Cedar Key, which is 55 miles from Chiefland.They are having a Winter Star Party this year. If anyone wants more info on Cedar Key, give me a call @ 610-876-3837.
      I found the darkest skies I've ever seen on the way to Cedar Key. It's Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge-near Chiefland.
      There's a possibility my email address will be changed, due to the fact @ Home has filed bankruptcy.....
      By the way, skies @ Chiefland are not as darkCherry Springs. Keep looking up. Vaughn

    • vnickerson101505@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2003
        Hi All, Am Back from Chiefland star party. Was a good party. Was there 10 nights. Got 9 nights of viewing in. Must say, it was extremely cold this year. A lot of people left early. I had to go to bed by 2 AM due to the cold.
        Got to see the Northern Lights in Florida on Thursday night the 20th. A fire ball went thru at the same time. And the space station also went over.
        The people in Georgia had to look South to see the Northern Lights & Pa. & Ontario never saw them at all. They did see them on Sat, night tho. But we couldn't.  Real strange.
        No mosquitoes in Chiefland star party. They say it's because they keep a lot of bats & birds.
        There were 300 there. And 2 dealers.
        Guess that's it. Clear Skies. Vaughn