Perseids at Pickering Creek

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2005

      Folks, I have consulted the Pickering Creek weather forecasters and have been assured that all this muck will dissipate by Thursday night and that we will be treated to a spectacular Perseid meteor show.

      Please indicate (email me or call 302-653-9445)  if you will attend the Perseid Meteor Watch sos'n I can include you in the HD/HB count (that's HotDog and HamBurger).

      Please bring your best attitude 'cause we don't want to incur the wrath of  the CSF (Clear Sky Force).

      See you there late Thursday afternoon.

      Don...Oh - here's the scoop from our newsletter with directions, etc.

      Perseid Meteor Shower Watch

      Delmarva Star Gazers will host a Perseid Meteor Shower watch the night of August 11/12, 2005, at the Pickering Creek Audubon Center.  The Center is on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.  Directions are attached below.

      The evening will begin at 7:00 PM with a cookout followed by an overview of amateur astronomy activities at 8:00 PM and a get acquainted tour of the night sky beginning at 9:00PM.  There will be a few scopes set up for viewing the wonders of the Summer Milky Way.  The meteors should begin before midnight and continue until daybreak.  The Center will provide hot drinks and snacks…I am sure there will be some hotdogs before dawn!

      We are planning for this to be an all-night event.  There will be facilities for catching a nap if necessary.  Please bring a sleeping bag and extra layers of clothes since the night-time air can become cool and uncomfortable after midnight.  A comfortable lawn/lounge chair aids in the meteor watching.  I like to use a small tarp folded in half to provide a barrier from below and above…a pillow also helps.

      I plan to get a nap before beginning the trip home.  Breakfast at a local Fast Food Facility is a possibility.

      This site is very dark and close to the water…so there is a possibility of some stray mosquitoes.  You should consider a can of OFF, Cutters, DEET, Skin-So-Soft, or your favorite insect repellent/food.

      Please call 410 822 4903 (ask for Lisetta) for additional information.  Please put August 11 & 12 on your calendar – this should be a great night outside!  Bring your cameras, scopes, binos, etc, and enjoy this excellent star gazing opportunity!

      Directions to Pickering Creek Audubon Center

      From Baltimore
      * Take I-97 to Route 50/301 in Annapolis.
      * Take Route 50 East over Bay Bridge, and continue towards Easton.
      * Pass by Routes 213 and 404. At mile marker 58 turn right onto 662 (route 662 crosses Route 50 a couple times, so make sure you turn at mile marker 58).
      * Follow 662 through the town of Longwoods, past a red school house, and turn right onto Sharp Road (the first turn after Rabbit Hill Road, which is on the left).
      * Follow Sharp Road for 1.5 miles.
      * Turn right onto the continuation of Sharp Road (there's a sign there for Sharp Road to Presquile Road) and follow for 1.25 miles.
      * A Pickering Creek Audubon Center sign is on the right hand side. Turn right and follow the gravel driveway until the first turn.
      * The welcome center is on the left.
      Office phone: 410-822-4903.

      From St. Michaels
      * Turn onto MD-33 toward Easton. Continue to follow MD-33. 7.5 miles
      * Turn LEFT onto MD-370/UNIONVILLE RD. Continue to follow UNIONVILLE RD. 3.7 miles
      * Turn RIGHT onto TODDS CORNER RD. 1.1 miles
      * Bear to the LEFT  to stay on TODDS CORNER RD. 0.9 miles
      * Turn RIGHT at the stop sign onto PRESQUILE RD.
      * Pickering Creek Audubon Center is your first left and marked with a sign.

      From Easton
      * Turn onto MD-33 toward St. Michaels. Continue to follow MD-33. 2.1 miles
      * Turn RIGHT onto MD-370/UNIONVILLE RD. Continue to follow UNIONVILLE RD. 3.7 miles
      * Turn RIGHT onto TODDS CORNER RD. 1.1 miles
      * Bear to the LEFT  to stay on TODDS CORNER RD. 0.9 miles
      * Turn RIGHT at the stop sign onto PRESQUILE RD.
      * Pickering Creek Audubon Center is your first left and marked with a sign.

      From south of Easton
      * Take Route 50 north towards Easton.
      * At the Municipal Airport, turn left onto Airport Road and take the immediate right hand turn onto 662 or Longwoods Road.
      * After a small bridge, turn left onto Sharp Road. Follow Sharp Road for 1.5 miles.
      * Turn right onto the continuation of Sharp Road (Sharp Road to Presquile Road) and follow for 1.25 miles.
      * A Pickering Creek Audubon Center sign is on the right hand side.
      * Turn right and follow the gravel driveway until the first turn. The welcome center is on the left.

    • Jerry Truitt
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2005
        If members want to get a map to this location the address is 11458
        Audubon Lane, Easton, MD 21601.
        They also have a web site www.pickeringcreek.org