Forward of NASA GSFC lecture series

  • Tim Milligan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      Following the warm reception our "Eyes on the Sky" series received
      this
      spring, we are hosting another exciting set of lectures this summer
      entitled "Robotic Space Exploration: Moon, Mars and Beyond." This
      series
      will feature three world class robotics experts and is being held
      in
      conjunction with Goddard's newly founded NASA Robotics Internship
      Program.

      The first lecture is coming up very soon! It's next Wednesday, July
      6 at
      7:30 PM in the NASA Goddard Visitor Center Auditorium. Dr. Paul
      Schenker
      from JPL will be speaking on "The Challenges and Excitement of Space
      Robotics: Exploring the Solar SYstem". See below for details.

      The set up and registration system is very similar to "Eyes on the
      Sky".
      You can obtain more information about it on the robotics website at
      http://university.gsfc.nasa.gov/robotics/.

      Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to remove
      your
      name from this list. I am looking forward to seeing all of you again.
      Have a great holiday weekend!

      Lubna Rana

      Office of Higher Education
      NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

      Ph: 301-296-2893
      Email: LRana@...
      ---------
      Robotic Space Exploration Public Lecture Series July 6 – July 28,
      2005

      Upcoming Lecture
      The Challenges and Excitement of Space Robotics:
      Exploring the Solar System

      Dr. Paul S. Schenker
      NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
      Pasadena, California

      7:30 PM, Wednesday, July 6
      NASA Goddard Visitor Center Auditorium

      Reservations & Info:
      <http://university.gsfc.nasa.gov/robotics/>http://university.gsfc.nas
      a.gov/robotics/
      Please RSVP online to reserve a spot.
      Appropriate for high school level and above.

      Abstract:
      Space robotics is a remarkable, expanding new frontier of
      exploration--from
      the moon, to Mars, and beyond. Far distant from earth, such robots
      operate
      in extremes of hot and cold, in unpredictable and often very rough
      environments. Communication with earth operators is rare and robots
      must
      have on-board perception, navigation, and control skills. Future
      exploration will encompass not only the Mars surface, but also that
      of the
      earth moon, distant moons of other planets, utilizing aerial,
      surface, and
      sub-surface mobile platforms of increasing computer intelligence.
      New
      designs will include multiple cooperating robot teams and human-
      interactive
      telerobotic systems, in which robots will perform increasingly human-
      like
      tasks. We will describe these developments, and the exciting future
      they
      pose for both engineering innovation and science understanding.

      Short Biographical Sketch
      Dr. Paul S. Schenker is Manager, Robotics Space Exploration
      Technologies
      Program, at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of
      Technology, Pasadena, California. His responsibilities encompass the
      strategic development of technical capabilities for future NASA
      robotic and
      human-robotic missions. His prior assignments at JPL include
      manager of
      JPL's mobility/robotics line organization of about 100 people,
      supervisor
      of two related robotics groups, and principal investigator for many
      projects spanning advanced teleoperation, telerobotic dexterous
      control,
      autonomous mobility, multi-robot systems, and medical robotics. He
      has
      authored about 130 papers in these technical areas and has
      contributed to
      several major NASA missions through this work, including the
      currently
      operative Mars Exploration Rovers. Dr. Schenker is a member of the
      AAAI,
      IEEE, OSA, and SPIE, and an elected Fellow and 1999 President of the
      last.