RE: [delmarvastargazers] Telescope Making

  • Joe Morris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2005
      Bill -- I'd recommend two from http://www.willbell.com/ The first is by
      Richard Berry entitled "Build your own Telescope" and the other is by David
      Kriege and Richard Berry entitled "The Dobsonian Telescope."

      A couple of good websites are http://astro.umsystem.edu/atm/
      ;http://bobmay.astronomy.net/ ;

      Mirror kits can be ordered from http://www.newportglass.com/

      > During the last meeting there was talk of the next mirror making event.
      > Also there was talk of making larger mirrors. That got me
      > thinking and Don
      > is right if you never made a scope or ground a mirror, and I have
      > not dome
      > either, do not try anything that is out of reach.
      >
      > What I would like to ask is what are some good books to read about
      > telescope making? I was thinking along the lines of a Dobsonian.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Bill
    • David M Groski
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2005
        Bill,
        I'll add to Joe's list, "All About Telescopes" by Sam Brown. It's an
        excellent book and what I and a number of others "cut their teeth on" when
        grinding mirrors. I still refer to it on many aspects of telescope making
        and optics.

        - Dave

        "Joe Morris"
        <joemorris@starba
        nd.net> To
        Sent by: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        delmarvastargazer >
        s@yahoogroups.com cc

        Subject
        06/18/2005 05:06 RE: [delmarvastargazers] Telescope
        PM Making

        Please respond to
        delmarvastargazer
        s@yahoogroups.com

        Bill -- I'd recommend two from http://www.willbell.com/ The first is by
        Richard Berry entitled "Build your own Telescope" and the other is by David
        Kriege and Richard Berry entitled "The Dobsonian Telescope."

        A couple of good websites are http://astro.umsystem.edu/atm/
        ;http://bobmay.astronomy.net/ ;
        > http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/tm/tm.html ;http://www.atmsite.org/

        Mirror kits can be ordered from http://www.newportglass.com/

        > During the last meeting there was talk of the next mirror making event.
        > Also there was talk of making larger mirrors. That got me
        > thinking and Don
        > is right if you never made a scope or ground a mirror, and I have
        > not dome
        > either, do not try anything that is out of reach.
        >
        > What I would like to ask is what are some good books to read about
        > telescope making? I was thinking along the lines of a Dobsonian.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bill

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
        in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
        by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
        explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
        this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
        or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
        a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
        purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

        Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean