Telescope Making

  • Bill Davis Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2005
      During the last meeting there was talk of the next mirror making event.
      Also there was talk of making larger mirrors. That got me thinking and Don
      is right if you never made a scope or ground a mirror, and I have not dome
      either, do not try anything that is out of reach.

      What I would like to ask is what are some good books to read about
      telescope making? I was thinking along the lines of a Dobsonian.

      Thanks,

      Bill
    • Joe Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2005
        Bill -- I'd recommend two from http://www.willbell.com/ The first is by
        Richard Berry entitled "Build your own Telescope" and the other is by David
        Kriege and Richard Berry entitled "The Dobsonian Telescope."

        A couple of good websites are http://astro.umsystem.edu/atm/
        ;http://bobmay.astronomy.net/ ;

        Mirror kits can be ordered from http://www.newportglass.com/

        > During the last meeting there was talk of the next mirror making event.
        > Also there was talk of making larger mirrors. That got me
        > thinking and Don
        > is right if you never made a scope or ground a mirror, and I have
        > not dome
        > either, do not try anything that is out of reach.
        >
        > What I would like to ask is what are some good books to read about
        > telescope making? I was thinking along the lines of a Dobsonian.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bill
      • David M Groski
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2005
          Bill,
          I'll add to Joe's list, "All About Telescopes" by Sam Brown. It's an
          excellent book and what I and a number of others "cut their teeth on" when
          grinding mirrors. I still refer to it on many aspects of telescope making
          and optics.

          - Dave

          "Joe Morris"
          <joemorris@starba
          nd.net> To
          Sent by: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          delmarvastargazer >
          s@yahoogroups.com cc

          Subject
          06/18/2005 05:06 RE: [delmarvastargazers] Telescope
          PM Making

          Please respond to
          delmarvastargazer
          s@yahoogroups.com

          Bill -- I'd recommend two from http://www.willbell.com/ The first is by
          Richard Berry entitled "Build your own Telescope" and the other is by David
          Kriege and Richard Berry entitled "The Dobsonian Telescope."

          A couple of good websites are http://astro.umsystem.edu/atm/
          ;http://bobmay.astronomy.net/ ;
          > http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/tm/tm.html ;http://www.atmsite.org/

          Mirror kits can be ordered from http://www.newportglass.com/

          > During the last meeting there was talk of the next mirror making event.
          > Also there was talk of making larger mirrors. That got me
          > thinking and Don
          > is right if you never made a scope or ground a mirror, and I have
          > not dome
          > either, do not try anything that is out of reach.
          >
          > What I would like to ask is what are some good books to read about
          > telescope making? I was thinking along the lines of a Dobsonian.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bill

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
          in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
          by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
          explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
          this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
          or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
          a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
          purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

          Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean