Other people, other planets in other galaxies

  • James T. Morgan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2005
      Leonard White and I gave a presentation outdoors at
      the
      Middletown Library this past week. It really is nice
      observe with Leonard as I always have a good time. We
      showed folks what small telescopes could do. Mainly
      we were looking at the Moon but it was possible to see
      Jupiter from where we were in front of the building.
      Finally when we were wrapping it all up the staff from
      the library exited the building and Leonard yelled out
      "Would you like to see the Moons of Jupiter?" What a
      rush they made to come over and look through his
      telescope and it was nice to hear the comments at how
      wonderful this all was.
      One of the claims that I had made to the folks (about
      25 showed up) was that you could see a lot with a pair
      of binoculars. Even "galaxies" can be seen.
      Well it is just a little after 4:00 AM here in Newark
      and I just came in from my back yard after seeing the
      Andromeda Galaxy in my 7 by 50s. It never ceases to
      amaze me to look and see that. Even from my light
      polluted back yard I could imagine that somewhere in
      the galaxy was a solar system with a planet similar to
      ours and some person is sitting at their computer
      writing a similar note to others as I am now. I
      wonder how the Milky Way Galaxy looked to them?
      Enough of these nocturnal activities I have to get
      back to bed.
      On Sunday the DAS has promised people at an Ice cream
      stang called "The Creamery" that we would show them
      what our Sun looks like. I wonder if they have sugar
      free Vanilla icecream on that planet I was just
      talking about?

      James

      PS Thanks again, Leonard for attending my event.

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com