RE: [delmarvastargazers] YoungMoon Observation

  • Norton Douglas (DTI)
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10 7:15 PM
      The youngest moon I ever saw was about as young as the one you described here. It was about 24 hours after new moon although I do not remember the time exactly. I didn't have any lunar computer programs at that time so I have no exact figures. I would like to challenge myslef once again now that I have an accurate lunar program. I observed it a long time ago, about 1999, and I was using 20x80 binoculars. It was one of those times when I was heavy into trying to find the youngest moon. I had a low horizon and plenty of practice figuring out where it should be. It was just a lot of fun. Congrats Paul.

      Douglas A. Norton
      Department of Technology & Information
      William Penn Data Center
      Phone: 302-739-9604
      Fax: 302-677-7003
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11 5:15 AM
        Don, glad you're ok, I have been very busy the last three weeks working 12-hour shifts all week & most weekend days as well. Otherwise I would have called Karen & asked if there was anything I could do. I didn't even make it to the last meeting or the star party. Anyways, now that we're back on eights I will call & see if I can stop by for a visit & if I can do anything for you around the house possibly.

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 11 6:47 AM
          Gang,

          I would like to know if there are any Star Gazers out there who are
          considering filling Don's shoes? I think a size 20? Seriously... If
          you think you are up to the task... Speak up. If it is too much (and
          Don will probalby agree that it is), maybe it could be a two or three
          headed job, or a rotating position. Any thoughts?

          Tim
        • PJ Riley
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 11 7:15 AM
            Tim, et al,
            You're right Tim, those are big shoes to fill...
            and if more of the members can be convinced to take an
            active role, it should be easier...too much done by
            too few...maybe this would be a good topic for the
            next meeting.

          • Michael P. Borgia
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11 7:16 AM
              Well, as I am only a size 8 shoe, I don't think that I am fit.  But if the job of Prez is too much for one man, maybe we can have one Prez and divide many larger responsibilites among "events chairmen."  For example we would have one person who is responsible for Star Gaze, another for No Frills, one for Mirror Making, have someone handle Meeting Planning...etc, etc.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11 7:29 AM
                Mike,

                The idea of Event Coordinators is also a good idea. And it would
                allow more members to have an active role in the club. Great stuff!

                Any other takers and ideas?

                Tim

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael P. Borgia"
                <mborgia@c...> wrote:
                > Well, as I am only a size 8 shoe, I don't think that I am fit.
                But if the job of Prez is too much for one man, maybe we can have
                one Prez and divide many larger responsibilites among "events
                chairmen." For example we would have one person who is responsible
                for Star Gaze, another for No Frills, one for Mirror Making, have
                someone handle Meeting Planning...etc, etc.

                > Mike
                Gazers

                > Gang,
                >
                > I would like to know if there are any Star Gazers out there who
                are
                > considering filling Don's shoes? I think a size 20?
                Seriously... If
                > you think you are up to the task... Speak up. If it is too
                much (and
                > Don will probalby agree that it is), maybe it could be a two or
                three
                > headed job, or a rotating position. Any thoughts?
                >
                > Tim

                of Service.
              • Tim Milligan
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 11 7:30 AM
                  Since Don is not going to be Prez, How about making him our Club
                  Mascot? ;-)
                • White Leonard W TSgt 512 EMS/MXMTI
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 11 8:02 AM
                    It has to be a topic at the next meeting. I like the idea of a
                    leadership "board" with responibilities shared amongst the "many". Any
                    one of the club events is too much work for 1 person alone. Barring
                    that, then a president, vice-president & SEVERAL aide-de-camps as it
                    were would probably work. Whatever we do we have to consider the fact
                    that sooner or later events outside the club will occur that interfere
                    with club-member's ability to contribute their time & efforts. We have
                    to have personnel available to back them up when needed. I'm sure we
                    could use some input from the other local astronomy organizations on how
                    they're stuff is run and the pros/cons of various approaches.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 11 8:22 AM
                      Exactly ! Some members are not 'active due to health,
                      distance, work, but the duties shouldered by Don
                      should be split up, e.g. starparty committee, mirror
                      making committee, etc.
                      As for Don, he is not going away, he'll be
                      available for guidance to others. Also, he could be
                      our 'Goodwill Ambassador-at-large' -or- 'soup chef'
                      !!?? maybe both.

                      eonard.white@...> wrote:
                      > It has to be a topic at the next meeting. I like the
                      > idea of a
                      > leadership "board" with responibilities shared
                      > amongst the "many". Any
                      > one of the club events is too much work for 1 person
                      > alone. Barring
                      > that, then a president, vice-president & SEVERAL
                      > aide-de-camps as it
                      > were would probably work. Whatever we do we have to
                      > consider the fact
                      > that sooner or later events outside the club will
                      > occur that interfere
                      > with club-member's ability to contribute their time
                      > & efforts. We have
                      > to have personnel available to back them up when
                      > needed. I'm sure we
                      > could use some input from the other local astronomy
                      > organizations on how
                      > they're stuff is run and the pros/cons of various
                      > approaches.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • White Leonard W TSgt 512 EMS/MXMTI
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11 8:35 AM
                        No doubt, Don's role as a mentor will be valued & utilized for many
                        years to come. Too bad he doesn't drink coffee that much anymore, he
                        could be our coffee-meister too!

                        eonard.white@...> wrote:
                        > It has to be a topic at the next meeting. I like the idea of a
                        > leadership "board" with responibilities shared amongst the "many". Any

                        > one of the club events is too much work for 1 person alone. Barring
                        > that, then a president, vice-president & SEVERAL aide-de-camps as it
                        > were would probably work. Whatever we do we have to consider the fact
                        > that sooner or later events outside the club will occur that interfere

                        > with club-member's ability to contribute their time & efforts. We have

                        > to have personnel available to back them up when needed. I'm sure we
                        > could use some input from the other local astronomy organizations on
                        > how they're stuff is run and the pros/cons of various
                        > approaches.

                      • Norton Douglas (DTI)
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11 11:58 AM
                          A group effort is very necessary. Spreading out the responsibilities makes sense from a workload point of view and from an availability point of view. I have had several events pop up in the last month that have prevented me from attending a meeting and the star party. It's tough to be there with outside obligations. At the next meeting we should discuss the best way to go about dividing up the big seat that Don has been sitting in since the beginning. I'm sure we could come up with something.

                          Douglas A. Norton
                          Department of Technology & Information
                          William Penn Data Center
                          Phone: 302-739-9604
                          Fax: 302-677-7003
                          Email: Douglas.Norton@...
                        • Bob Bunge
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 12 3:25 AM
                            In years past, many Stargazers have visited The Mountain Institute on
                            Spruce Knob, featuring the darkest skies on the east coast.

                            This year, NOVAC and the Virginia Outdoor Lighting Taskforce is
                            sponsoring the Almost Heaven Star Party at TMI, June 2-5. Registration
                            is limited, meals will be available at TMI. More details, including
                            list of programs, weather, information on visits to Greenbank
                            Observatory, and online registration is here:

                            http://www.novac.com/AHSP/index.php

                            Clear Skies,

                            Bob Bunge
                          • Paul Gray
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 12 6:06 AM
                              I may not be a paying member anymore now that i live about 950 miles
                              away but I would like ot make a proposal/suggesting/motion/whatchever
                              you want to call it......

                              I woud like to see Don Surles be the first Honorary President of The
                              Delmarva Stargazers!

                              No duties, no stress no requiments other than show up at some events
                              and be himself!

                              I feel many have already stated how Do more than qualifies for such
                              reconition.

                              On the note of duties to be pread around......

                              Here is an example i have seen in a few clubs of simliar size and
                              only some of the listed duties:

                              President: run the meetings, arrangeand make surethre are speakers

                              1VP: assume role of president when not able to attend, responsable
                              for PR and publicity of events, meetin notices....getthe word out

                              2vp: merchandise sales, membership (prmote and help welcome people)

                              secratary: self explained

                              treasure: self explained. handle the money

                              2-4 councilors: used tiemto time when needed. can head up committie
                              for evetns like MM, SG, NF's or AStronomy Day.

                              Just some thoughts, best of luck and hope to se you all soon.

                              Paul Gray
                            • David M Groski
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 12 6:15 AM
                                For all you telescope makers out there, Surplus Shed (
                                WWW.SurplusShed.com) has just got a shippment of Pyrex 6" and 4.25" mirror
                                blanks. The 6" are selling for $11 and the 4.25" for $5. That is less than
                                50% of what Newport Glass sells them for. They are listed in the What's New
                                This Week section. Happy Grinding !

                                - Dave

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 12 9:43 AM
                                  Paul,
                                  You are our international ambassador ! with all the
                                  duties and rights that entails....
                                  Pj
                                  P.S. how's the family ?

                                  --- Paul Gray <perserid@...> wrote:
                                  "I may not be a paying member anymore now that i live
                                  about 950 miles ..."

                                  Make Yahoo! your home page
                                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs